Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (6546 total)

BM304.jpg
House along Route 221, formerly across from Haran Baptist Church.The Stanley Family moved there in 1943. It was razed in late 1960s.

BM303.jpg
Lorene Simpson and Polly Rierson.

BM302.jpg
Play at Poages Mill Church of the Brethren; L to R: Eddy Grisso, Curt Mowles, Norvell Hurt, Dick Agee, Daisy Long

BM301.jpg
Back Creek Elementary School; L to R: Marie Sloan, ?, ?, Gaynelle Simpson, ?

BM299.jpg
John and Virginia Walters Austin sitting on front porch of home with grandchildren.

BM298.jpg
John Philip Austin at his home located across Route 221 from Mt. Union Church of the Brethren. Austin was the first person to have heart by-pass surgery at Roanoke Memorial Hospital.

BM297.jpg
Group at Bent Mountain School.

BM296.jpg
Student group at Bent Mountain School, mostly unidentified, though it does contain Virginia Walters and Cassie Fralin

BM295.jpg
Faculty Group at Bent Mountain School; L to R: Mrs. Lloyd, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Brook Alderman, ?, Mr. Woods (principal), Ann McGee, Viva Bowles.

BM294.jpg
Elbe Reed in his store (right) on Route 221. The man at left is unidentified, but possibly a salesman. The store also served as Bent Mountain Post Office.

BM293.jpg
Snow being plowed at Coles Egg Farm after a big snow on Bent Mountain.

BM292.jpg
Aerial view of Reed’s Orchard, located at the intersection of Poor Mountain Road and Tinsley Lane. The house was built by the Woodrum Family, bought by Homer Reed in 1948 and closed as a commercial orchard in 1995.

BM291.jpg
Reed’s Orchard operation at intersection of Poor Mountain Road and Tinsley Lane. The apple packing shed in photo was built in 1933.

BM290.jpg
1936 Graduating Class of Bent Mountain High School; Standing, L to R: Raymond Carr, George Powell, Homer Reed; Seated, L to R: Elois King, Margaret Jamison

BM289.jpg
Home of Elbe and Essie Reed, located behind Reed’s Store.

BM288.jpg
Fralin’s produce stand along Route 221 on Bent Mountain.

BM287.jpg
Central Baptist Church, Vacation Bible School. Rev. Arnold Williams is in suit at far left.

BM286.jpg
Harris homeplace along Route 221. It was razed when highway was widened.

BM285.jpg
Alonzo Lockett in “Dokkie” fez.

BM284.jpg
Callie Lockett (nee Harris). She did not cut her hair after age 16, as she thought it sinful to do so.

BM283.jpg
Callie Lockett (seated), L to R: Carol Harris, Alonzo Lockett, Hubert Harris, David Harris, Dorothy Harris

BM282.jpg
Hubert Harris on Salem Avenue in Downtown Roanoke.

BM281.jpg
L to R: Alonzo Lockett, Callie Harris Lockett, Pattie Martin at home formerly located across from the old Starkey School.

BM280.jpg
Sarah and Ballard Martin in front of home. Home is presently located on Shingle Ridge Road, off of Cotton Hill Road. Grandson Damon Martin is in buggy.

BM279.jpg
Ola Agee Harris and Hubert E. Harris lived in the Starkey area.

BM278.jpg
Grant Plaza at Cave Spring, located at 3901 Brambleton Avenue.

BM277.jpg
Roanoke County Book Mobile in front of the Roanoke Count Public Library.

BM276.jpg
Cave Spring Volunteer Fire Department.

BM274.jpg
Luther Bell, board of supervisors member representing Cave Spring.

BM273.jpg
Native American mortar and grinding stone found near Cave Spring, owned by M.A. Janney

BM272.jpg
Enjoying a spin in a Metz car. L to R: Neva, Vera, Elba, Raymond, and Alton Reed.

BM271.jpg
Spring at Cave Spring.

BM270.jpg
Dr. Edward Tinsley ready to start rounds on horseback. His house is in background. Tinsley practiced from 1890 to 1940 in the Bent Mountain area.

BM269.jpg
Back Creek Elementary School

BM268.jpg
Bent Mountain Elementary School

BM267.jpg
Aerial view of Back Creek Orchard Company at foot of Bent Mountain; owned by Woodrum family, R.S. Stearnes, Dr. E.W. Senter, Jack Kefauver and Clinton Craighead

BM266.jpg
John Henry and Susie (Harris) Grisso.

BM265.jpg
Unidentified man examining remnants of splintered oak tree struck by lightning on J.H. Grisso farm, the strike of which killed J.H. Grisso

BM264.jpg
Erecting telephone poles and wire in Back Creek area.

Tags:

BM263.jpg
Grisso Family, L to R: Ellis Grisso, Mary Grisso, Susie (Harris) Grisso, Price Grisso (small child), John H. Grisso.

BM262.jpg
Charcoal drawing of Elmore Martin. Martin served with the 28th Virginia Infantry, CSA. He died in the war.

BM259.jpg
Scene at Woodrum Orchard.

BM256.jpg
Ben Lewis, resident of Haran area.

BM255.jpg
Sally Lewis, resident of Poages Mill area.

BM021.jpg
Ink sketch of Kittinger Chapel, artist unknown.

BM018.jpg
Haran Baptist Church

BM017.jpg
Students at Back Creek School.

BM016.jpg
Haran Baptist Church

BM015.jpg
Roland Ferguson School, located on Twelve O’Clock Knob Road. The teacher was Mildred (Edd) Bell, sister-in-law of Tom and Luther Bell; #1 is Ocie Ferguson, #2 is Icie Ferguson, #3 is Jim Ferguson

BM013.jpg
Haran School, front row, L to R: Blanche Ferguson, Robert Ferguson, Billy Bohon, Geneva Poage, Francis Martin, Mae Agee, Mamie Agee, Mina Day, Gladys Bohon, Claude Puckett, Omer Puckett, Floyd Bohon;
Second row, L to R: Lela Jenny, Nellie Ferguson,…

BM012.jpg
Back Creek High School 4-H Club, L to R: Mildred Bohon, Jane Coon, Josephine Grisso, Geraldine Grubb, Hazel Henderson, Mildred Jones, Sue Lane, Nancy Poage, Sara Lee Poage, Emily Rierson, Cornelia Simpson, Evelyn Webster, Irma Wright

BM011.jpg
School – probably the old log school house first used for Haran School before larger facility was built.

BM010.jpg
Mill wheel at Poage's Mill

BM009.jpg
May Day at Back Creek School, L to R: Catherine Bowling, Frances Grubb, Frances Gill, Lotherine Lavinder (Queen), Josephine Grisso, Evelyn Webster; in the front is crown-bearer Nadine Henderson

BM008.jpg
Back Creek High School, Junior Class, Front row, L to R: Nancy Poage, Pete Christley, Herbert Henderson, Jr., Norman Lavinder, Mary Bowling; Back row, L to R: Bertha Christley, Carl Wade, Bertha Bohon, Martha Jane Henry

BM007.jpg
Sophomore Class at Back Creek School: L to R: Billy Agee, Jane Coon, Edmund Chamberlain, Douglas Grisso, Louis Grisso, Hazel Henderson, John Jones, Mildred Jones, Lotherine Lavinder, Sara Lee Poage, Evelyn Webster

BM006.jpg
School group at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM005.jpg
School group at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM004.jpg
School group at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM003.jpg
School group at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM002.jpg
Back Creek School, back row L to R: Bernice Harmon, Charlie Blankenship, Lonzie Janney, Dempsey Grisso, Dean Dores; Second row, L to R: Buster Webster, Edison Likens, Isaac Sutphin, Grover Sink, Harry Cannaday, Grant Christley; Front row, L to R:…

BM001.jpg
Students at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM254.jpg
Stock car racing at Starkey Speedway.

BM253.jpg
Stock car racing at Starkey Speedway.

BM252.jpg
Aerial view of Starkey Speedway.

BM248.jpg
Fruit Growers Telephone Exchange (was also Luther Bell’s store) located on Landmark Circle in Roanoke County.

BM245.jpg
House across road from Reed's Store on Route 221. The house was formerly the Haran School.

BM243.jpg
Two unidentified persons at Reed's Store.

BM242.jpg
Lula Cole Reed, mother of Marvin “Fats” Reed, at Reed’s Store.

BM239.jpg
Reed's Store at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM238.jpg
Reed's Store at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM237.jpg
Cave Spring Baptist Church

BM235.jpg
Cave Spring Baptist Church

BM234.jpg
Cave Spring Baptist Church.

BM233.jpg
Brethren baptism in a creek in Floyd County.

BM230.jpg
Mount Union Church of the Brethren on Bent Mountain. The original 1896 church building is seen. Rev. Oscar Fike (right) and his parents are on the front steps.

BM228.jpg
Gas ration stamps from 1945.

BM225.jpg
“Heading the Barrels” at Doc Ferguson’s orchard. L to R: George Yates, Ben Owens, Mr. Minnix, A. Bohon, Doc Ferguson, Will Hokles, Wiley Lavinder.

BM223.jpg
Spectators at Back Creek Elementary School for Back Creek baseball game.

BM222.jpg
Ralph Henry of the Back Creek Baseball Team. Uniform says Finnell’s, as Finnell & Sons sponsored the team.

BM221.jpg
Present-day residence that was the former Haran School, located at 7910 Bent Mountain Road.

BM207.jpg
Rendering of original log Laurel Ridge Church by Joey Meador.

BM206.jpg
Elders of Pigg River Primitive Baptist Association at Basham Church in Stewartsville, Virginia.

BM205.jpg
Hezekiah Lavinder (seated) and his family at their home (located at entrance to Bridlewood, home still standing) off of Route 221.

BM204.jpg
Bellview Primitive Baptist Church, located on Roselawn Road.

BM203.jpg
Laurel Ridge Primitive Baptist Church, located on Roselawn Road.

BM202.jpg
Baptism of Mary Ann Conner, wife of G.W. Conner, by Elder Leonard Brammer of the Laurel Ridge Primitive Baptist Church, at Fralin home.

BM199.jpg
Reed’s Store at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM198.jpg
Reed’s Store at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM196.jpg
Interior of Reed's Store, located at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM195.jpg
Reed’s Store after the 1948 addition of Dairy Diner, located at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM194.jpg
Reed’s Store at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM193.jpg
Marble players at Bent Mountain School. L to R: Hilton King, Herbert Craighead, Namon Conner, Arnold Mills, Melvin Manning (school champion), Harold Thompson, Fletcher Wimmer.

BM192.jpg
May Court at Bent Mountain High School. May Queen (far right) is Carrie Marie Bell; Maid to the Queen (second from right) is Mamie Logan; crown bearer is John Poff, flower girl is Jean Ferguson; Maids are Laura Metz, Bertha Janney, Betty Sisson,…

BM191.jpg
Mount Olivet Baptist Church on Route 221, Bent Mountain.

BM189.jpg
Col. Fletcher Holt in his store on Bent Mountain.

BM188.jpg
Clyde Bohon, who bought Holt’s Store on Bent Mountain.

BM187.jpg
Col. Fletcher Holt with a snake around his neck. Holt was a taxidermist on Bent Mountain

BM186.jpg
Home of Dr. E.O. Tinsley on Bent Mountain. The home was called “Sunny Side”. Tinsley’s office was located on right, front corner of porch. The home was on Tinsley Lane. It was razed in the 2000s.

BM185.jpg
Ruby Holt in front of Holt’s Store on Bent Mountain.

BM184.jpg
Emily Bohon and Bessie Brown

BM183.jpg
Mary Catherine Sloan Poage

BM180.jpg
Kittinger Chapel was located on Landmark Circle in Roanoke County. It was razed in the early 2000s.

BM179.jpg
Students and teachers in front of Back Creek School.

BM178.jpg
Students and teachers in front of Back Creek School.

BM177.jpg
Mary Catherine “Molly” Poage, Sara Poage (standing, left), Harvey Poage (standing, right), Lee Poage (on lap).

BM176.jpg
Haran Baptist Church

BM175.jpg
Lucy Dyer Poage, Molly Gregson, Jeff Gregson, making apple butter at home in the Poages Mill area.

BM174.jpg
James C. Fralin being baptized in Back Creek at Poages Mill in 1925 by Chris Eller, Brethren minister.

BM170.jpg
Hubert Earl Harris & Ola Agee Harris lived where Starkey ball fields are today.

BM169.jpg
Ballard P. and Sarah Martin

BM167.jpg
Hubert Earl “Hub” Harris.

BM166.jpg
Look Out Lodge postcard, Bent Mountain.

BM164.jpg
Sarah and Ballard Martin in front of home. Ballard was a carpenter and farmer.

BM161.jpg
Bobby, Joyce, Hazel and Robert Altis.

BM160.jpg
Ed and Viola Sloan.

BM159.jpg
Charlie Altis in his apple orchard on hill behind Altice home.

BM158.jpg
Charlie amd Minnie Altis with Forrest and Florence Sloan.

BM157.jpg
Charlie and Minnie Altis home, formerly located on road leading into Old Mill Plantation subdivision from Route 221.

BM154.jpg
L to R: Martha Tinsley, Alrene Stanley, ?, Mauvieleen Altis, Hazel Tinsley, Ethel Stump.

BM153.jpg
Arlene Stanley and Clara Altis at Back Creek Elementary School.

BM152.jpg
Clara Altis and Arlene Stanley.

BM151.jpg
Mauvieleen Altis, Robert Carroll and Arlene Stanley.

BM150.jpg
Mauvieleen Altis in front of house.

BM149.jpg
House owned by Mrs. Saul, who lived at Starkey; torn down in the 1970s; across from Haran Baptist Church. Stanley family moved there in 1943. Photo taken on Easter Sunday shows Roma Stanley (left) and Clarence Altice.

BM148.jpg
House owned by Mrs. Saul, who lived at Starkey; torn down in the 1970s; across from Haran Baptist Church. Stanley family moved there in 1943. Clarence Altis (left) and Robert Carroll.

BM147.jpg
House owned by Mrs. Saul, who lived at Starkey; torn down in the 1970s; across from Haran Baptist Church. Stanley family moved there in 1943. Arlene Stanley on porch.

BM145.jpg
Aerial view to the northeast of current Route 419 at intersection with Ogden Road. Ogden Road is seen at the top of the photo. At top, right is Ogden Elementary School. The area to the right of the railroad tracks is Cox Communications and Old…

BM144.jpg
Aerial view showing Green Valley Elementary School, upper right.

BM143.jpg
Aerial view looking north at Route 419 construction. The house and barn were located at the current site of the Roanoke County Administrative Offices on Bernard Drive. The earth moving equipment is at the current intersection of Route 419 and…

BM142.jpg
Aerial view of Route 419 under construction at Chaparral Drive; Penn Forest Boulevard at bottom.

BM141.jpg
Grandle Meador, Tina, Alice and Buddy Welcher at Beckner home.

BM140.jpg
Mildred and Roscoe Meador wedding photo; Wheeler Beckner on porch.

BM136.jpg
Beckner homeplace on Cotton Hill Road.

BM135.jpg
Wheeler and Bessie Beckner and John Steele (left) at home on Cotton HIll Road. They logged timber for railroad ties.

BM134.jpg
Wheeler and Bessie Beckner in front of home, presently located at 7041 Cotton Hill Road

BM132.jpg
L to R: Arthur “Ott” Poage, Henry Lee Poage, Charles Claytor Poage (1848-1931), Harvey Claytor Poage, David Meador

BM131.jpg
L to R: Henry Lee Poage (1891-1960), Arthur Seibert “Ott” Poage (1897-1971), Harvey Claytor Poage (1893-1928) in front of Poage farmhouse

BM130.jpg
Ed Sloan, auctioneer, with Harold Ferguson in background

BM129.jpg
Johnnie and Bertha Grubb making apple butter.

BM128.jpg
Turner home on Martins Creek Road in its final days.

BM127.jpg
Students and teachers in front of Back Creek School. Ann Hogan w/tie upper left of group (principal/teacher),

BM125.jpg
Back Creek Elementary School.

BM124.jpg
Miss Annie Bohon sells ice cream during lunch at Back Creek Elementary School. The ice cream cooler was inside the front door of the school.

BM123.jpg
6th graders in Back Creek School classroom.

BM119.jpg
Unidentified children at Back Creek School.

BM118.jpg
Charlie Poage, son of William Poage, with team of horses in front of Poage farmhouse on Route 221.

BM117.jpg
Poage Family in front of engine on farm. L to R: Harvey Poage, Bill Poage, Lee Poage, Lucy Poage

BM116.jpg
Harvey Claytor Poage.

BM115.jpg
Packing label for L.D. Bell and T.M. Bell at Poages Mill.

BM110.jpg
Portion of rock wall, built by Ralph Henry’s great grandfather, along Corntassel Lane. The wall still exists today.

BM108.jpg
Deed to Pine Hill School, formerly located on Twelve O’Clock Knob Road.

BM107.jpg
Charcoal drawing of Henry Booker Wade.

BM106.jpg
1. Isadora Ferguson Wade, 2. William Lee Wade, 3. Oren Wade, 4. Henry Wade, 5. Barney Owens. Photo was taken at the apple orchard at the Wade home. All others unidentified.

BM105.jpg
Margaret Rachel Owens Ferguson and William H. Ferguson.

BM104.jpg
Top photo, pictured: Jim Ferguson, Ivie Ferguson, Herbert Henderson, Maggie Ferguson, Margaret Rachel Ferguson, William H. Ferguson, Bertha Wade, Henry Wade . Bottom photo, pictured L to R: Ivie Ferguson, Jim Ferguson, Icie Ferguson, Aunt Paulina,…

BM103.jpg
L to R: Rachel Ferguson, Walter Ferguson, Ocieola Ferguson, Isadora Ferguson, Ivie Ferguson, Charles Ferguson, James Ferguson, William H. Ferguson

BM102.jpg
Ferguson sisters (top) and Christley home on Mt. Chestnut.

BM101.jpg
W.L. and Icie Wade (seated center) Family.

BM100.jpg
First Mormon chapel in Southwest Roanoke County, located on Bearing Road.

BM098.jpg
Students at Back Creek School.

BM097.jpg
Back Creek School students. Pictured are Principal Grant McGee, teacher Ann Hogan, who later married McGee. All others unidentified.

BM095.jpg
Back Creek School girls basketball team. Pictured are Margaret Henry Hartman and Mildred Henry Dimond. All others unidentified.

BM094b.jpg
James and Sarah Henry and three daughters in Poages Mill area.

BM094a.jpg
Home of Samuel Henry.

BM093.jpg
Sarah Rettinger Henry (left) and Nannie Rettinger Grisso.

BM092.jpg
Back Creek 4-H Club.

BM091.jpg
1840 deed for 66 acres belonging to Jane Poage as part of land granted to her from her father, John Poage.

BM090.jpg
Poage home and farm along Route 221.

BM089.jpg
Home of Mary (Mollie) Poage across the creek from the Poage farm on Route 221.

BM085.jpg
Omer Simpson barn on Martins Creek Road.

BM084.jpg
Raleigh “Buck” Owens' spray engine for use in orchard.

BM083.jpg
Sam Hailey and his work mules.

BM082.jpg
Idle band saw at Lamar Martin farm on Martins Creek Road.

BM081.jpg
Tilden Martin and Lamar Martin barn on Martins Creek Road.

BM080.jpg
Olvin Martin home, built in 1877, was located on Martins Creek Road.

BM078.jpg
Back row, far left Annie Blankenship Martin, Olvin Martin; far right Louisa Martin, Daniel N. Simpson. Photo taken in front of the Martin-Simpson homeplace on Martins Creek Road. All others unidentified.

BM077.jpg
L to R: Tilden H. Martin, Gertrude Martin Duling, Alfonso Martin, Otey Martin.

BM076.jpg
Nelson Simpson, a resident of Martins Creek Road. Photo probably taken at home of his parents O.C. and Mary Simpson.

BM075.jpg
Omer C. Simpson, Jr., Christine Simpson, Lorene Simpson, residents of Martins Creek Road.

BM074.jpg
Tilden Hendrix Martin, a resident of Martins Creek Road.

BM073.jpg
Alfonso Martin, a resident of Martins Creek Road.

BM072.jpg
Photo taken at Thelma Willett’s home. Seated front, L to R: Marilyn Givens, Norma Jean Martin; Seated middle, L to R: Mae Austin Martin, Pearl Martin Wertz; Standing, L to R: Edith Martin Filson, Dorothy Martin Bass.

BM071.jpg
The woman sitting in the wagon is Annie Blankenship Martin, the man at right is Olvin Martin; American Chestnut in background; photo probably taken in Martins Creek Road area of Roanoke County. All others unidentified.

BM070.jpg
L to R: Ned Martin, Omer .C. Simpson, Jr., Charles Day and Gordon Willett (background) at Haran Baptist Church.

BM069.jpg
Back Creek Elementary School under re-construction.

BM068.jpg
Rock store near Poage Farm on Route 221.

BM067.jpg
Rierson’s Grocery on Route 221.

BM066.jpg
Marvin P. “Fats” Reed at the counter in Reed's Store at the intersection of Martins Creek Road and Route 221.

BM065.jpg
Reed’s Store at the intersection of Route 221 and Martins Creek Road.

BM061.jpg
Back Creek High School. Pictured are: Teachers Grant McGhee, Elsie Kennedy and Ann Hogan McGhee, George Beach, Paul Ferguson, Bowman Ferguson, Clifton Grisso, Wilson Moser, Edwin Garner, Aaron Martin, Clayton Tinnell Sr., Kenneth Grisso, Carl Wade,…

BM059.jpg
Back Creek High School. L to R: Gertie Hopper, Glenna Christley, Camile Lavender, Cleda Grisso, Elsie Christley; man at back is Shelton Gates.

BM058.jpg
Photo taken in front of the Christley Homeplace on Mt. Chestnut Road in Roanoke County; Seated L to R: Margaret Powell Christley, Arlen F. “Pete” Christley; Standing, L to R: Keith B. Christley, Warren Christley, Joyce Christley Clowers, Michael…

BM057.jpg
Former Elijah Poage store/warehouse on Old Mill Road in Poages Mill.

BM056.jpg
Front row, L to R: Louise Christley Williams, George Franklin Christley, Iva Mae Christley Ferguson, Elsie Christley, Bertha Christley, ?, Back row, L to R: Bill Christley, Pauline Christley, Monroe Christley, Thora Christley, Milan Christley,…

BM054.jpg
Front row, L to R: William Gilford Christley Jr., Ivy Mae Christley, Louise Christley, William Gilford Christley Sr., Grant Christley; Back row, L to R: Monroe Christley, Elsie Christley, Milan Christley, Glenna Christley, Bertha Christley, Arlen…

BM053.jpg
L to R: Joe Beard, Mildred Beard, Charles Altis, Effie Beard, Willie Bracy, Mauvieleen Stanley, Clarence Altis

BM052.jpg
L to R: Joe Beard, Effie Beard, Mauvieleen Stanley, Nannie Bracy, Edna Altis, Mary Altis, Nannie Altis, Clarence Altis, Clara Altis, Willie Bracy

BM051.jpg
W.F. Bolton's 8th grade class at Back Creek School.

BM050.jpg
Hazel Tinsley and Mauvieleen S. Altis in front of Back Creek Elementary School.

BM049.jpg
First row, L to R: Albert Turner, ? Webster; Second row, L to R: Janette Turner, Nelson Simpson, ?, O.C. Simpson, Jr., Third row, L to R: Francis Simpson, Colleen Grubb, Christine Simpson, Beatrice Peters, ?, Lorene Simpson; Back row, L to R: Vinson…

BM048.jpg
Omer C. Simpson

BM047.jpg
Omer C. Simpson. Simpson lived on Martins Creek Road.

BM046.jpg
Youth in front of Haran Baptist Church. Front row, L to R: Gaynelle Simpson, Shirley Rierson; Second row, L to R: Preston Webster, Ruby Kirkwood, Nelson Simpson; Back row, L to R: Jimmy Kirkwood, Lorene Simpson, Polly Rierson, Norris Webster

BM045.jpg
Haran Baptist Church

BM043.jpg
Students in front of Back Creek School.

BM042.jpg
Back Creek School.

BM041.jpg
Back Creek School with "new" addition.

BM039.jpg
Aunt Nadine Henderson takes nephews and nieces for an afternoon ride in Back Creek. Standing L to R: Bobby, Nadine, David and Charles Ed Henderson; On horse L to R: Paige Riley, Ray Henderson Corky, Barbara & Kay Henderson, Brent Riley.

BM036.jpg
Riley T. Fralin, Sr, and Jr. at intersection of Ran Lynn Drive and Poage Valley Road.

BM035.jpg
Fralin home on Ran Lynn Drive in Roanoke County.

BM033.jpg
Fralin barn on Ran Lynn Drive in Roanoke County.

BM032.jpg
Fralin home in Cave Spring.

BM031.jpg
R.T. Fralin, Sr., Ran Lynn Drive in Roanoke County.

BM029.jpg
Cave Spring Baptist Church

BM028.jpg
Home of John and Susie (Harris) Grisso in Cave Spring, Roanoke County. The home burned in 1946.

BM027.jpg
William and Mary Katherine (Poage) Grisso residents of Cave Spring section in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM026.jpg
Home and family of Daniel Simpson on Martins Creek in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM025.jpg
Louisa (Martin) and Daniel Simpson. The Simpsons lived on Martins Creek Road in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM024.jpg
Mountain burial in family cemetery, probably Martin-Simpson cemetery near Martins Creek Road in Southwest Roanoke County.

BM023.jpg
Family of John and Sarah (Hayes) Harris. L to R: Sarah Jane, William, Lutie, Susie, Elisha, George, John, Eliza, and Benjamin. The family lived in the Back Creek section of Roanoke County.

BM022.jpg
1905 postal receipt for Haran Post Office, signed by “D. Kittinger, postmaster”.

BM001.jpg
Students at old Back Creek School on Landmark Circle in Southwest Roanoke County.

ConnerFamily.pdf
Genealogical research compiled on the Conner Family of Floyd County, Virginia.

CragheadFamily.pdf
This work has been compiled in an attempt to trace the Craghead (Craighead) Family members who lived predominately in Franklin and Montgomery Counties, Virginia. Includes an index.

raneyindex.pdf
This index includes surnames found in the E. Marvin Raney Collection. The majority of Raney's research focuses on the families of Bedford and Franklin Counties, though surnames from other counties are represented. Raney worked extensively with Mae…

BeranichKathryn (compressed).mp3
Oral History Interview with Kathryn L. Beranich
Interviewer: Julia Greider
Interviewee: Kathryn L. Beranich
Date: 17 January 2017
Location: Fintel Library, Roanoke College
Duration: 1:37:03
Transcription prepared by: Kerri Taylor

KellyNancy (compressed).mp3
Oral History Interview with Nancy Kelly
Interviewer: Julia Greider
Interviewee: Nancy Kelly
Date: 17 January 2017
Location: Fintel Library, Roanoke College
Total Duration: 1:38:45
Transciption prepared by: Malinda Britt and Erin Hannon

AnnexationRecords.pdf
This is a guide to the County of Roanoke Circuit Court Annexation Records Collection, This record collection consists of 2 record storage boxes containing transcripts of court proceedings for the 1974 Roanoke Valley consolidated annexation case. …

LDW17 Loebl Dye Works.jpg
After the explosion of synthetic fabrics in the 1970s, Loebl Dye Works went out of business in 1981. The building was razed in 2001. The buildings at left in this photograph were also once used by the business and still stand today.

LDW16 Package.jpg
This package illustrates just how well known Loebl Dye Works was, not just locally, but globally. This was sent from a dry cleaner in New Zealand for dye work. Among other clients of Loebl were the White House, the Greenbrier, New York designers…

LDW15 Loebl Dye Works.jpg
As seen here, Loebl Dye Works once filled a row of buildings on Salem Avenue.

LDW14 Cleaning Area.jpg
Robert Loebl (left) and two unidentfied men in the next to the cleaning tumblers.

LDW13 Cleaning Area.jpg
Robert Loebl (left) inspects the work of unidentified employees on the Hoffman Pressing Machine.

LDW12 Dyeing Area.jpg
Unidentified Loebl employees in the dyeing area.

LDW11 Cleaning Area.jpg
Unidentified Loebl employees in the cleaning area.

LDW10 Staging Area.jpg
William Staples, Iva Staples and an unknown woman prepare garments for cleaning and alterations at Loebl Dye Works.

LDW9 Loebl Interior.jpg
Josef Loebl (center) and two unidentified men in "storefront" of Loebl Dye Works

LDW8 Customer Counter.jpg
Robert Loebl, Hattie Mae Beck and Iva M. Spangler in the pick-up and drop-off area of Loebl Dye Works.

LDW7 Loebl Fleet.jpg
Loebl Dye Works dry cleaning trucks parked in front of Loebl Dye Works on Salem Avenue.

LDW6 Loebl Fleet.jpg
A fleet of four Loebl Dye Works dry cleaning trucks parked in front of Loebl Dye Works on Salem Avenue.

LDW5 Loebl, Josef.jpg
Hungarian born, Josef Loebl grew up in Austia. He set up his dyeing and cleaning shop on Salem Avenue in the 1920s.

LDW4 Cleaning and Alterations.jpg
In addition to dyeing, Loebl also provided dry cleaning and alteration services. Photo is labeled with the following names, though their order as they appear is unclear: Minnie Duncan, Gertrude Gentry, Mrs. Flippen, Stella Taylor, and Miss Sandberg

LDW3 Dyeing Vats.jpg
Left to right: Roy Hargraves, Josef Loebl and Robert Loebl in a dyeing room of Loebl Dye Works, formerly located on Salem Avenue.

LDW2 Loebl Dye Works.jpg
Left to Right: Josef Loebl, Robert Loebl, Julia Loebl, _____, and Roy Hargraves in front of Loebl Dye Works, formerly on Salem Avenue.

LDW1 Loebl, Josef.jpg
Josef Loebl stands next to a Vorclone drying tumbler in Loebl Dye Works, formerly located at 350 Salem Avenue.

MP 24.5 Mt. Pleasant School.jpg
Unidentified students in front of Mt. Pleasant School in Roanoke County.

UrbanRenewal.pdf
This collection is housed in three record storage boxes. Content consists of all of Mary Bishop’s research for “Street by Street, Block by Block: How Urban Renewal Uprooted Black Roanoke”. The collection is arranged into four series:
• Series I:…

RaymondBarnesIndex.pdf
This is an index of articles written by Raymond Barnes for the Roanoke World News. Barnes' feature articles, entitled "Echoes of Roanoke", ran from 1958-1969 and covered an array of historical topics related to the Roanoke Valley.

Brigadier 1964.pdf
Brigadier is the annual of James Breckinridge Junior High School

Rissa.MP3
Oral History Interview with Rissa
Interviewer: Omari Chancellor, Emily Brun
Interviewee: Rissa
Date: 18 February 2017
Location: Roanoke Diversity Center
Total Duration: 56:22
Transciption prepared by: Ta’Tyana Buster, Jac Frost

Muse, Don.MP3
Oral History Interview with Don Muse
Interviewer: Sasha Roberts, Brooke Thacker, Victoria Preston
Interviewee: Don Muse
Date: 19 February 2017
Location: Home of Don Muse
Total Duration: 1:01:18
Transcription prepared by: Victoria Preston,…

Martha.MP3
Oral History Interview with Martha
Interviewer: Avery Kirkendall, Marcus Stewart
Interviewee: Martha
Date: 22 February 2017
Location: Fintel Library, Roanoke College
Total Duration: 1:03:56
Transcription prepared by: Alexa Doiron, Lorien…

Jordan, Robin.MP3
Oral History Interview with Robin Jordan
Interviewer: Nicholas Dillon
Interviewee: Robin Jordan
Date: 22 February 2017
Location: Fintel Library, Roanoke College
Total Duration: 1:06:29
Transcription prepared by: Yvonne Gravely, Hannah Kolcz,…

Gravely, Garland.MP3
Oral History Interview with Garland Gravely
Interviewer: Madison Pinckes, Erik Weed
Interviewee: Garland Gravely
Date: 19 February 2017
Location: Home of Garland Gravely
Total Duration: 50:15
Transcription prepared by: Dacotah McGaffic, J.T.…

Caldwell, Linny.MP3
Oral History Interview with Linny Caldwell
Interviewer: Megan O'Neill, Brian Fersini
Interviewee: Linny Caldwell
Date: 23 February 2017
Location: Fintel Library, Roanoke College
Total Duration: 66:47
Transcription prepared by: Bridget Reardon,…

Bennett, Michelle (compressed).mp3
Oral History Interview with Michelle Bennett
Interviewer: Sarah Sinoski, Brandon Croci
Interviewee: Michelle Bennett
Date: 27 February 2017
Location: Fintel Library, Roanoke College
Total Duration: 1:21:14
Transcription prepared by: unknown

RC48 Transportation Museum.jpg
The Transportation Museum in Wasena Park submerged in flood waters from the flood of 1985.

RC47 Transportation Museum.jpg
Some of the exhibits at the Roanoke Transportation Museum in Wasena Park.

RC46 Transportation Museum.jpg
N&W Class J 611 and N&W #6 on exhibit at the Roanoke Transportation Museum in Wasena Park.

RC45 Transportation Museum.jpg
Visitors at the Roanoke Transportation Museum formerly located in Wasena Park. The museum opened in 1963.

RC44 Garlands Drugstore.jpg
Garland's Drugstore, formerly located at 1327 Grandin Road.

RC43 Garlands Drugstore.jpg
An interior view of Garland's Drugstore at its original Grandin Road location.

RC42 Children on Grandin.jpg
Unidentified children stand outside of Brice's Drugstore on Grandin Road.

RC41 Virginia Heights Lutheran.jpg
Children in front of Virginia Heights Lutheran Church. The church was the predecessor of Christ Lutheran Church. This chapel was located at what is now 1320 Grandin Road.. Built in 1917, the chapel was in use by the congregation until 1948.

RC38 Memorial Bridge.jpg
A view of Memorial Bridge

RC37 Raleigh Court Library.jpg
Raleigh Court Branch Library, located at 2112 Grandin Road.

RC36 Norwich Bridge.jpg
Norwich Bridge

RC35 Harris Harwood.jpg
Harris Hardwood Company office, formerly located just off of Ashlawn Street.

RC34 Patrick Henry High.jpg
The old campus-style Patrick Henry High School was dedicated on 17 December 1960. It was replaced with a conventional school building in 2008.

RC33 Wasena Elementary.jpg
Wasena Elementary School, located at 1125 Sherwood Avenue.

RC32 Grandin Court Elementary.jpg
Grandin Court Elementary School, located at 2815 Spessard Avenue.

RC31 Virginia Heights Elementary.jpg
A newly constructed Virginia Heights Elementary School (right) stands next to the old Virginia Heights Elementary.

RC30 Woodrow Wilson Middle.jpg
The gymnasium addition at Woodrow Wilson Middle School.

RC29 Patrick Henry High.jpg
The old campus-style Patrick Henry High School was dedicated on 17 December 1960. It was replaced with a conventional school building in 2008.

RC28 Raleigh Court Elementary.jpg
Raleigh Court Elementary School, located at 2202 Grandin Road, opened in 1960 and served students through the end of the 2009 school year.

RC27 Fishburn Park Elementary.jpg
Fishburn Park Elementary School, located at 3057 Colonial Avenue.

RC26 Woodrow Wilson Middle.jpg
A newly completed Woodrow Wilson Middle School, located at 1813 Carter Road.

RC25 Streetcar 47.jpg
Streetcar #47 on Grandin Road. This was the last streetcar to run in Roanoke.

RC24 Memorial Bridge.jpg
A crowd gathers for the dedication of Memorial Bridge on 30 August 1926, despite having been open to traffic since 6 May 1926.

RC23 Memorial Bridge.jpg
A crowd gathers for the dedication of Memorial Bridge on 30 August 1926, despite having been open to traffic since 6 May 1926.

RC22 Virginia Avenue Bridge.jpg
The Virginia Avenue Bridge or Woodrum Bridge was the predecessor to Memorial Bridge.

RC21 Grandin Road Pharmacy.jpg
Grandin Road Pharmacy. Located at 1314 Grandin Road, the building is now how to Gracie's Place Pizzeria and Local Roots Restaurant.

RC20 Shirley and Greenwood.jpg
Looking north on Greenwood Road from the intersection with Shirley Avenue.

RC19 Grandin an Memorial.jpg
Aerial view of the intersection of Grandin Road and Memorial Avenue.

RC18 Garlands Drugstore.jpg
Garland's Drugstore under construction. Garland's opened in 1953.

RC17 Mick-or-Mack.jpg
Construction of Mick-or-Mack Grocery, located at 1312 Winborne Avenue.

RC16 Memorial Bridge.jpg
Aerial view of Memorial Bridge.

RC15 Virginia Heights.jpg
Aerial view of Virginia Heights. Evergreen Cemetery is visible in the foreground; Memorial Bridge is visible in the lower right.

RC14 Norwich.jpg
Looking south toward Norwich at Bridge Street.

RC13 Bridge Street.jpg
Looking north on Bridge Street at the old truss bridge crossing the Roanoke River.

RC12 Row Houses.jpg
Row houses were constructed in Norwich to house the laborers who worked in the various industries in the area.

RC11 Bridge Street.jpg
Buildings along Bridge Street in Norwich.

RC10 Bridge Street.jpg
A view of Bridge Street in Norwich.

RC9 Russell Avenue.jpg
A view of Russell Avenue in Norwich.

RC8 Roanoke Avenue.jpg
A view of Roanoke Avenue in Norwich.

RC7 VHBC Parishioners.jpg
Parishioners in front of chapel of Virginia Heights Baptist Church.

RC5 VHBC Sunday School.jpg
Parishioners in front of chapel of Virginia Heights Baptist Church.

RC4 Virginia Heights Elementary.jpg
Virginia Heights Elementary School is seen in the background. In the foreground is the foundation being laid for Virginia Heights Baptist Church.

RC2 Virginia Heights Baptist.jpg
Chapel and first sanctuary of Virginia Heights Baptist Church.

RC1 Memorial Bridge.jpg
Memorial Bridge under construction. Virginia Avenue bridge visible on left.

Davis 66.301 Memorial Bridge.jpg
Crossing into Raleigh Court, the Memorial Bridge was dedicated on 30 August 1926. It was named to honor World War I veterans.

Davis 61.01 N&W Passenger Station.jpg
The Norfolk & Western Passenger Station was built in 1907. It is now home to the O. Winston Link Museum and History Museum of Western Virginia.

Davis 47.312 Roanoke City Mills.jpg
Roanoke City Mills, formerly located at 1750 Jefferson Street. The mill was raised in 2009.

Davis 45.237 Sunlight Bakery .jpg
The Roanoke Sunlight Bakery was located at 501 Salem Avenue. The building was also used by Kroger Bakery. It is now used as a warehouse.

Davis 43.301 First National Exchange Bank.jpg
The First National Exchange Bank building was built in 1912. Located at 204 Jefferson Street, it has been in continuous operation as a bank for over a century.

Davis 43.214 N&W General Offices.jpg
The former general office building of Norfolk and Western, located at 108 N. Jefferson Street, now houses the Roanoke Higher Education Center.

Davis 25.313 Our Lady of Nazareth.jpg
Our Lady of Nazareth Catholic Church. Formerly located at 820 Campbell Avenue, this structure was the first church, completed in 1926. It was used by the church until 1978 when the current structure was completed on Electric Road. The structure in…

Davis 24.02 St. Johns Episcopal.jpg
St. John's Episcopal Church, located on the corner of Jefferson Street and Elm Avenue.

Davis 22.22 Greene Memorial UMC.jpg
Greene Memorial United Methodist Church, located at 402 2nd Street SW.

Davis 19.141 YWCA.jpg
The Young Women's Christian Association formed a Roanoke chapter in 1914. This building was built around 1930 at the 605 1st Street SW.

Davis 19.01 Victory Stadium.jpg
Victory Stadium opened in 1942. It would host many events in its 6 decade existence, including the annual Thanksgiving Day Harvest Bowl football game between Virginia Tech and Virginia Military Institute. The stadium was razed in 2006.

Davis 14.22 Shenandoah Hospital.jpg
Shenandoah Hospital, formerly located at 712 Campbell Avenue. Built in 1912, the 65-bed hospital closed in 1974. The building was razed in 1976.

Davis 14.12 Burrell Memorial Hospital.jpg
Roanoke's first African-American hospital, Burrell Memorial, was founded in 1915 in a small cottage on Henry Street. It soon outgrew the Henry Street location and moved into the former Alleghany Institute, a school for boys located at 611 McDowell…

Davis 13.14 Roanoke County Courthouse.jpg
The old Roanoke County Courthouse, located at 301 E. Main Street in Salem was completed in 1910. Offices moved to a new building in 1985. The building is now owned by Roanoke College.

Davis 12.4 Commonwealth Building.jpg
Originally constructed as the United States Post Office and Federal Courthouse in 1932, the Commonwealth Building is located at 220 Church Avenue.

Davis 2.163 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue near the Jefferson Street intersection. On the right is the First National Exchange Bank; visible on the left are Hanover Shoes, Virginia Dare Dresses and United Cigars.

Davis 2.28 Boxley Building.jpg
Still under construction in this photograph, the Boxley Building was built by W.W. Boxley, then mayor of Roanoke. The building is located at 416 S. Jefferson Street.

Davis 2.27 Professional Arts Building.jpg
Constructed in 1929, the Professional Arts Building, formerly known as the Medical Arts Building, is located at 30 Franklin Road.

General 1953.pdf
The General was the annual of Lee Junior High School.

General1970.pdf
The General was the annual of Lee Junior High School.

acorn1946.pdf
The Acorn was the annual for Jefferson High School.

acorn1945.pdf
The Acorn was the annual for Jefferson High School.

acorn1944.pdf
The Acorn was the annual for Jefferson High School.

acorn1943.pdf
The Acorn was the annual for Jefferson High School.

General 1964.pdf
The General was the annual of Lee Junior High School.

General1957-58.pdf
The General was the annual of Lee Junior High School.

General1956-1957.pdf
The General was the annual of Lee Junior High School.

General1959.pdf
The General was the annual of Lee Junior High School.

General1949.pdf
The General was the annual of Lee Junior High School.

MP 4.423 1st Street.jpg
Looking south on 1st Street from the 1st Street Bridge. The bridge connected Henry Street to Downtown Roanoke. The bridge was renamed in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in 2003.

MP 4.422 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on busy Campbell Avenue from 1st Street. People's Drugstore, Standard Drug, Kress & Co. and Lerner Shops were several of the businesses along this block.

MP 4.421 Campbell Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Campbell Avenue from 1st Street during paving. People's Drugstore, Standard Drug, Krees & Co. and Lerner Shops were several of the businesses along this block.

VBAWomensAux.pdf
This is a guide to the Valley Baptist Association Women's Auxiliary Collection. The Valley Baptist Association Women’s Auxiliary Collection consists of materials related to the organization’s history, mission work, and programs. Included are…

ValleyBeautfulCollection.pdf
This is a guide to the Valley Beautiful Foundation Records Collection. The Valley Beautiful Foundation was organized in 1981 in order to promote the beautification of the Roanoke Valley. It set about its goal by planting trees in the city,…

Creasy47 Huff Farm.jpg
Once known as the Barrens, the home of Dr. Francis Sorrel and Letitia Gamble Watts, the property was sold to Peter Huff in 1900. The property, situated within the city limits, was eyed by developers as a prime location for commercial interests. The…

Creasy46 Huff Farm.jpg
Once known as the Barrens, the home of Dr. Francis Sorrel and Letitia Gamble Watts, the property was sold to Peter Huff in 1900. The property, situated within the city limits, was eyed by developers as a prime location for commercial interests. The…

Creasy45 City Market.jpg
Mountain Top Orchards sells produce on the City Market,

Creasy44 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy43 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy42 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy40 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy39 City Market.jpg
An unidentified vendor prepares produce to sell on the City Market.

Creasy38 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy36 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy35 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy34 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy33 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy32 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy31 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy30 City Market.jpg
Vendors on the City Market,.

Creasy29 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy28 City Market.jpg
Customers shop at vendor stalls on the City Market.

Creasy27 City Market.jpg
Vendors on the City Market.

Creasy26 City Market.jpg
Vendors on the City Market

Creasy25 City Market.jpg
Crumpacker Orchards on the City Market.

Creasy24 City Market.jpg
Vendors on the City Market.

Creasy23 Center Groundbreaking.jpg
E.K. Mattern, Mayor Noel C. Taylor and City Manager Bern Ewert at groundbreaking of Center in the Square.

Creasy22 Center Groundbreaking.jpg
E.K. Mattern, Mayor Noel C. Taylor and City Manager Bern Ewert at groundbreaking of Center in the Square.

Creasy21 Center Groundbreaking.jpg
The groundbreaking of Center in the Square. From left to right: Frank Clement, Mayor Noel C. Taylor, George Cartledge, E.K. Mattern and City Manager Bern Ewert.

Creasy20 Centennial Parade.jpg
Roanoke Transportation Museum float in the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy19 Centennial Parade.jpg
Marines reenact the raising of the American Flag at Iwo Jima in the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy18 Centennial Parade.jpg
Replica 1892 Heironimus float in the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy17 Centennial Parade.jpg
Crowds line Jefferson Street for the Roanoke Centennial Parade.

Creasy16 Roanoke Transportation Museum.jpg
Replica of the "Best Friend of Charleston" at the opening of the Virginia Museum of Transportation (then Roanoke Transportation Museum) in Wasena Park.

Creasy15 Roanoke Transportation Museum.jpg
Replica of the "Best Friend of Charleston" at the opening of the Virginia Museum of Transportation (the Roanoke Transportation Museum) in Wasena Park.

Creasy14 Roanoke Transportation Museum.jpg
Children ride in model train once part of the Virginia Museum of Transportation (then Roanoke Transportation Museum) when it was located in Wasena Park.

Creasy13 VPI-VMI.jpg
VPI-VMI Thanksgiving Day game held at Victory Stadium. Once known as the "Military Classic of the South", the match-up was held annually in Roanoke from 1913-1971.

Creasy12 Main Library.jpg
Construction of the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Creasy11 Main Library.jpg
Construction of the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Creasy10 Main Library.jpg
Construction of the Main Branch of Roanoke Public Libraries.

Creasy9 Church and 5th.jpg
Home formerly located at 5th Street and Church Avenue.

Creasy8 Church Avenue.jpg
Looking east on Church Avenue at 2nd Street. The old YMCA building is seen on the left and Greene Memorial United Methodist on the right.

Creasy7 Stone Printing.jpg
Stone Printing Company, formerly located at 116 N. Jefferson Street.

Creasy6 707 Building.jpg
The 707 Building, located at 707 S. Jefferson Street.

Creasy5 N&W Yards.jpg
The Norfolk & Western yards.

Creasy4 Texas Tavern.jpg
A Roanoke landmark, Texas Tavern is located at 114 Church Avenue SW.

Creasy3 Lakeview Motor Lodge.jpg
The Manor House at Lakeview Motor Lodge, formerly located at 6910 Williamson Road.

Creasy2 Lakeview Motor Lodge.jpg
Lakeview Motor Lodge, formerly located at 6910 Williamson Road.

Creasy1 1225 3rd Street.jpg
Home located at 1225 3rd Street SW.

PC 139.18n Elizabeth College.jpg
"Elizabeth College, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.18m Langhorne Home.jpg
"Langhorne Home, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.18l Mount Regis.jpg
"Mount Regis Sanatorium, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.18k McVitty Home.jpg
"McVitty Home, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.18j Baptist Orphanage.jpg
"Baptist Orphanage, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.18i Lutheran Orphanage.jpg
"Lutheran Orphanage, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.18h Roanoke College.jpg
"Administration Building, Roanoke College, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.18g Fort Lewis.jpg
"Poff Home, Salem, Virginia" Better known as Fort Lewis Mansion.

PC 139.18f Roanoke College.jpg
"Group of buildings, Roanoke College, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.18e College Avenue.jpg
"College Avenue, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.18d Salem High School.jpg
"High School, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.18c Salem Streets.jpg
"Street scenes, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.18b Main Street.jpg
"Main Street, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.19a Longwood.jpg
"Cooper Home, Salem, Virginia"

PC 140.11 Lakeside.jpg
"Concrete swimming lake, Lakeside, Roanoke, Virginia. Two million gallons fresh water changing constantly."

PC 140.1 Lakeside.jpg
"Concrete swimming lake, Lakeside", Roanoke, Virginia. Two million gallons fresh water changing constantly."

PC 140.0 Lakeside.jpg
"Lakeside Amusement Park, Route No. 11, Salem, Virginia. Just one of many rides at the park, Lakeside's famous Sky-lift, taking people on a 9 minute, 1800 ft. panoramic trip high above the park."

PC 139.17 Browns.jpg
"Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair Brown, Rev. G.L. Brown. Salem, Virginia October 20, 1908"

PC 139.16 Camp Fort Lewis.jpg
"Tourist Camp Fort Lewis Courts. Steam heat, tile private baths, innerspring mattresses, closed garages. One of the best in the east, 8 miles west of Roanoke, Virginia. One-half mile west of Salem, Virginia. US Route No. 11. Open all year. Mr. and…

PC 139.15 Langhorne Place.jpg
"Entrance to Langhorne Place, Salem, Virginia."

PC 139.116 Roanoke College.jpg
"Library, Roanoke College, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.1151 Roanoke College.jpg
"Administration Building, Roanoke College, Salem, Virginia near Roanoke"

PC 139.114 Roanoke College.jpg
"The commons and dormitories. Roanoke College, Salem, Virginia near Roanoke."

PC 139.113 Roanoke College.jpg
"Roanoke College, Salem, Virginia - President's Home - This Georgian townhouse, official home of the President of Roanoke College, is one of the most elegant residences in western Virginia. Founded in 1842, Roanoke is a liberal arts college for men…

PC 139.112 Roanoke College.jpg
"Air view, Roanoke College, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.11 Roanoke College.jpg
"Roanoke College, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.10 Lutheran Children's Home.jpg
"Lutheran Children's Home of the South, Salem, Virginia."

PC 139.9 Lutheran Orphanage.jpg
"Lutheran Orphan Home, Salem Virginia. J.T. Crabtree, Supt."

PC 139.81 Roanoke County Courthouse.jpg
"Roanoke County Courthouse, Salem, Virginia. Roanoke County was established on March 230, 1838. The first courthouse was erected in 1841 (on site of the present courthouse). The present courthouse was built in 1909, added onto in 1949 and partially…

PC 139.8 Roanoke County Courthouse.jpg
"Roanoke County Courthouse, Salem, Virginia."

PC 139.7 Roanoke Women's College.jpg
"Roanoke Women's College, Salem, Virginia."

PC 139.5 Andrew Lewis Grave.jpg
"Grave of Gen. Andrew Lewis, East Hill Cemetery, Salem, Virginia. One of the early settlers in Virginia was General Andrew Lewis, pioneer hero of the Battle of Point Pleasant. In 1767, he was allotted a grant of land consisting of 625 acres and…

PC 139.41 Downtown Salem.jpg
"Main Street at night looking west, Salem, Virginia."

PC 139.4 Downtown Salem.jpg
"Main Street, looking west. Salem, Virginia."

PC 139.34 VA Hospital.jpg
" Sunrise scene, US Veterans Administration Facility, showing Buildings 1 and 2. Roanoke, Virginia, near Salem."

PC 139.33 VA Hospital.jpg
"Recreation building, Veterans Administration Hospital, near Salem, Virginia."

PC 139.32 VA Hospital.jpg
"Main Building, US Veterans Administration Hospital, Salem, Virginia, near Roanoke."

PC 139.31 VA Hospital.jpg
"Veterans Administration Hospital Roanoke-Salem, Virginia. In the foreground is the grandstand and patient recreational area. In the rear center is shown the general medical and surgical ward building and to the right, the administration building."

PC 139.3 VA Hospital.jpg
" Veterans Administration Hospital, Roanoke, Virginia near Salem."

PC 139.2 Salem Post Office.jpg
" Post Office, Salem, Virginia"

PC 139.1 Andrew Lewis.jpg
"Andrew Lewis High School, Salem, Virginia"

PC 135.0 YMCA.jpg
"Central YMCA, Roanoke, Virginia"

PC 134.0 Woodrum Field.jpg
"Woodrum Field, Roanoke, Virginia. Located just outside the city limits of Roanoke, Virginia is the municipal terminal for three major airlines: Piedmont, Eastern and American - with a total of 50 flights daily. This ultra-modern airport serves as…

PC 133.04 Virginia College.jpg
"The Virginia College, Roanoke,Virginia"

PC 133.03 Virginia College.jpg
"Virginia College (Young Ladies), Roanoke, Virginia"

PC 133.02 Virginia College.jpg
"Virginia College, Roanoke, Virginia"

PC 133.01 Virginia College.jpg
"Virginia College, Roanoke, Virginia"

PC 133.0 Virginia College.jpg
"Virginia College, Roanoke, Virginia"

PC 132.1118 Twelve O'Clock Knob.jpg
"Twelve O'Clock Knob, Salem"

PC 132.1117 Roanoke College.jpg
"Administration Building, Roanoke College, Salem"

PC 132.1116 Longwood.jpg
"Longwood Salem Community Center, Salem"

PC 132.1115 Lutheran Orphanage.jpg
"Administration Building, Lutheran Orphanage of the South, Salem"

PC 132.1114 Lake Spring Park.jpg
"Lake Spring Park, Salem"

PC 132.1113 GW Carver.jpg
"Carver School, Salem. Roanoke County consolidated high school for negroes."

PC 132.1112 Roanoke County Courthouse.jpg
"Roanoke County Courthouse and confederate monument, Salem."

PC 132.1111 Andrew Lewis.jpg
"Andrew Lewis High School, Salem"

PC 132.1110 VA Hospital.jpg
"Main building, US Veterans Administration Hospital, near Salem, Roanoke."

PC 132.10 Downtown Roanoke.jpg
"Night view of Roanoke, Virginia"

PC 132.91 Virginia Heights.jpg
"Virginia Heights Bridge and Roanoke River"

PC 132.9 Virginia Heights.jpg
"Virginia Heights"

PC 132.8 South Roanoke.jpg
"South Roanoke"

PC 132.7 Downtown Roanoke.jpg
"Downtown Roanoke, Virginia looking north on Jefferson Street with the Main Branch of the Roanoke Public Library in the foreground."

PC 132.62 Roanoke from Mill Mountain.jpg
"Bird's-eye view from Mill Mountain of Roanoke, Virginia, Star City of the South."

PC 132.61 Roanoke from Mill Mountain.jpg
"Bird's-eye view of Roanoke,Virginia from Mill Mountain."

PC 132.6 Roanoke from Mill Mountain.jpg
"Roanoke, Virginia as seen from Mill Mountain. This superb view of Roanoke and surrounding country is taken from Mill Mountain, where the world's largest man-made star is located and gives Roanoke its name as the Star City."

PC 132.5 View of Roanoke.jpg
"Roanoke, Virginia is the third largest city in Virginia, situated in a natural bowl between the Blue Ridge and Alleghany Mountains. Mill Mountain, a city park in the heart of the city rises 1,000 feet above the city, Hollins College is nestled at…

PC 132.4 Greetings from Roanoke.jpg
"Looking to the north on Jefferson Street, part of the business section can be seen with Elmwood Park shown in the foreground. Also known as the Star City of the South."

PC 132.3 Trolley.jpg
"Trolley car crossing stream near Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 132.2 View of Roanoke Valley.jpg
"Roanoke Valley on the line of the Norfolk & Western Railway, Virginia."

Tags:

PC 132.1 View of Roanoke.jpg
"View of Roanoke, Virginia"

Tags:

PC 132.0 Views of Roanoke.jpg
"Views of Roanoke"

PC 131.1 US 220 .jpg
"US Highway No. 220 South from Roanoke, Virginia to Rocky Mount and Martinsville."

Tags:

PC 131.0 US 11.jpg
"US Highway No. 11 near Roanoke, Virginia."

Tags:

PC 130.2 Victory Stadium.jpg
"The Corps of Cadets of Virginia Polytechnic Institute in formation on the football field in a colorful pre-game appearance at the Thanksgiving Day classic between VMI and VPI in Victory Stadium in Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 130.1 Victory Stadium.jpg
"Military Classic of the South - More than 25,000 persons fill Victory Stadium at Roanoke, Virginia for the annual VMI-VPI football game on Thanksgiving Day. The Virginia Military Institute Corps of Cadets (seen in foreground) from Lexington,…

PC 130.0 Victory Stadium.jpg
"Victory Stadium, Roanoke, Virginia, as seen from atop Mill Mountain. With a seating capacity of 25,000, which can be increased to 29,000 with the use of bleachers, is where the Thanksgiving Day Classic Football Game is held each year between (VMI)…

PC 129.0 Terry Building.jpg
"Terry Building, Roanoke Virginia"

ScrapbookIndex.pdf
This index was compiled from a number of scrapbooks of Roanoke Times and Roanoke World News articles maintained by library staff over many years. Articles are arranged roughly under various subject headings and include the date and edition of the…

Colonel1972.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1971.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1968.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1967.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1966.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1965.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1964.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1963.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1962.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1961.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1960.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1959.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1958.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1957.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1956.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1955.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1954.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1953.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1952.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1951.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1950.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

Colonel1949.pdf
The Colonel is the annual for William Fleming High School.

PC 128.6 Clark Avenue.jpg
"Clarke Avenue, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.5 Franklin Road.jpg
"View on Franklin Road, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.4 Thirteenth Street.jpg
"Thirteenth Street, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.35 Jefferson Street.jpg
"Intersection on Jefferson Avenue, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.34 Jefferson Street.jpg
"Jefferson Street looking south at night, Roanoke Virginia."

PC 128.33 Jefferson Street.jpg
"Jefferson Street, looking south, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.32 Jefferson Street.jpg
"Jefferson Street, looking north from Church Avenue, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.31 Jefferson Street.jpg
"Jefferson Street, looking north, Roanoke, Virginia - Nestling in a beautiful amphitheatre formed by the Blue Ridge Mountains on the east and the Alleghany Mountains on the west and at the southern end of the Shenandoah Valley lies Roanoke - The…

PC 128.3 Jefferson Street.jpg
"Roanoke, Virginia - Nestling in a beautiful amphitheatre formed by the Blue Ridge Mountains on the east and the Alleghany Mountains on the west and at the southern end of the Shenandoah Valley lies Roanoke - Magic City of the South, key to…

PC 128.25 Campbell Avenue.jpg
"Night-time on Campbell Avenue, looking east, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.24 Campbell Avenue.jpg
"Campbell Avenue, looking east, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.23 Campbell Avenue.jpg
"Campbell Avenue, looking west at night, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.22 Campbell Avenue.jpg
"Campbell Avenue, west from Jefferson Street, Roanoke, Virginia."

PC 128.21 Campbell Avenue.jpg
"Campbell Avenue, looking west, Roanoke, Virginia."
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2