Virginia Room Digital Collection

Welcome!

The Virginia Room Digital Collection includes photographs, oral histories, books, pamphlets and finding aids to items in the Virginia Room. Continue to check back for new additions.

Browse Items (6546 total)

RuffnerRock1971.pdf
The Ruffner Rock was the annual for William Ruffner Middle School.

Mignon Chubb-Hale Collection (2).pdf
This is a guide to the Mignon Chubb-Hale Collection. The collection contains items related to Mignon Chubb-Hale. While a majority of the collection is comprised of photographs of Chubb-Hale’s sixth grade classes at Lincoln Terrace Elementary School,…

Pioneer1971.pdf
The Pioneer was the annual for Andrew Lewis High School.

Pioneer1965.pdf
The Pioneer was the annual for Andrew Lewis High School.

Pioneer1964.pdf
The Pioneer was the annual for Andrew Lewis High School.

Pioneer1960.pdf
The Pioneer was the annual for Andrew Lewis High School.

Pioneer1959.pdf
The Pioneer was the annual for Andrew Lewis High School.

Pioneer1958.pdf
The Pioneer was the annual for Andrew Lewis High School.

Pioneer1957.pdf
The Pioneer was the annual for Andrew Lewis High School.

Pioneer1949.pdf
The Pioneer was the annual for Andrew Lewis High School.

Pioneer1948.pdf
The Pioneer was the annual for Andrew Lewis High School.

Pioneer1942.pdf
The Pioneer was the annual for Andrew Lewis High School.

Pioneer1941.pdf
The Pioneer was the annual for Andrew Lewis High School.

Pioneer1939.pdf
The Pioneer was the annual for Andrew Lewis High School.

YMCA102.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA101.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA100.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA099.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA098.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA097.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA096.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA095.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA094.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "Awards 1969 Annual Meeting."

YMCA093.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Sixth from Left: Dr. E. D. Downing

Eighth from Right: Dr. Harry Penn

YMCA092.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "Father and Son banquet 1961."

YMCA091.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA090.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA089.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA088.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA087.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA086.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "1969 Annual Meeting."

YMCA085.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: Oldest Father, Father and Son Banquet 1962."

Middle: Mac Barlow

YMCA084.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "L. B. Allen, Father and Son Banquet 1962."

YMCA083.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Dr. Harry Penn on right and Dr. F. W. Claytor on far right, seated.

YMCA082.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA081.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: Father and Son Banquet 1960."

Second from Left: Mr. Bean Sr., Winner of the Award for Oldest Son Present

Second from Right: Lewis Peery

First on Right: Walter Wheaton

YMCA080.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: " Father and Son Banquet."

YMCA079.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "1967 Father and Son Banquet, father and son who look alike."

YMCA078.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA077.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA076.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA075.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA074.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA073.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Stonewall2000.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall1999.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall1995.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall1991.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall1989.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall1988.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall1977.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall1976.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall1975.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall1974.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall1973.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall1972.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall1971.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall 1970.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall1969.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Stonewall1953.pdf
The Stonewall was the annual for Stonewall Jackson Middle School.

Anonymous1PT1.mp3
Oral History Interview with Anonymous1
Interviewers: Roanoke College students
Date: 24 February 2017
Location: Downtown Roanoke
Duration: 52:17

Presidents1986.pdf
The Presidents is the annual for Woodrow Wilson Junior High School.

Presidents1985.pdf
The Presidents is the annual for Woodrow Wilson Junior High School.

Presidents 1984.pdf
The Presidents is the annual for Woodrow Wilson Junior High School.

Presidents1982-83.pdf
The Presidents is the annual for Woodrow Wilson Junior High School.

Presidents1981-82.pdf
The Presidents is the annual for Woodrow Wilson Junior High School

Presidents1980-81.pdf
The Presidents is the annual for Woodrow Wilson Junior High School.

Presidents1979-80.pdf
The Presidents is the annual for Woodrow Wilson Junior High School.

Presidents1978-79.pdf
The Presidents is the annual for Woodrow Wilson Junior High School.

Presidents 1977-78.pdf
The Presidents is the annual for Woodrow Wilson Junior High School.

Presidents1976-77.pdf
The Presidents is the annual for Woodrow Wilson Junior High School.

Presidents1975-76.pdf
The Presidents is the annual for Woodrow Wilson Junior High School.

Presidents1974-75.pdf
The Presidents is the annual for Woodrow Wilson Junior High School.

Presidents1973-74.pdf
The Presidents is the annual for Woodrow Wilson Junior High School.

Cardinal1970.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1973.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1972.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1971.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1969.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1968.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1967.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1966.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1965.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1964.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1963.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1962.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1961.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1960.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1958.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1957.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1956.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1955.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1953.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1952.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1951.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Cardinal1950.pdf
The Cardinal was the annual for James Monroe Junior High School.

Matador1986.pdf
The Matador is the annual for James Madison Middle School.

Matador1985.pdf
The Matador is the annual for James Madison Middle School.

Matador1984.pdf
The Matador is the annual for James Madison Middle School.

Matador1983.pdf
The Matador is the annual for James Madison Middle School.

Matador1982.pdf
The Matador is the annual for James Madison Middle School.

Matador1981.pdf
The Matador is the annual for James Madison Middle School.

Matador1980.pdf
The Matador is the annual for James Madison Middle School.

Matador1979.pdf
The Matador is the annual for James Madison Middle School.

Matador1978.pdf
The Matador is the annual for James Madison Middle School.

Matador1975.pdf
The Matador is the annual for James Madison Middle School.

Matador1973.pdf
The Matador is the annual for James Madison Middle School.

pgcc001.jpg
Piney Grove Christian Church.The church was located in Roanoke County and was razed in the early 1970s due to the creation/expansion of Route 419. The church was located where the on-ramp is located from 419 to 220 South, near Tanglewood Mall. The…

FC014.jpg
Willis High School. The agricultural building is at right.

FC013.jpg
Mountain Normal School students posing in front of the dormitory building.

FC012.jpg
Floyd Esso Service Center in Floyd County.

FC011.jpg
Rollie N. Phillips store and gas station, located in the Indian Valley area of Floyd County. Phillips opened his service station in 1927.

FC008.jpg
Willis High School after the addition was completed.

FC007.jpg
Willis High School shortly after opening.

FC005.jpg
The cornerstone of Willis High School.

FC004.jpg
Willis High School under construction.

FC003.jpg
The long abandoned old Mountain Normal School at Willis in Floyd County, VA. The Normal School opened in 1893.

FC002.jpg
Mountain Normal School dormitory at Willis in Floyd County, VA.

FC001.jpg
Willis High School in Floyd County, VA. The school closed after the 1961-62 school year.

Matador1971.pdf
The Matador is the annual for James Madison Middle School.

Brigadier1978.pdf
The Brigadier is the annual for James Breckinridge Junior High School.

Brigadier1977.pdf
The Brigadier is the annual for James Breckinridge Junior High School.

Brigadier1976.pdf
The Brigadier is the annual for James Breckinridge Junior High School.

Brigadier1973.pdf
The Brigadier is the annual for James Breckinridge Junior High School.

Brigadier1972.pdf
The Brigadier is the annual of James Breckinridge Junior High School.

RTObits1960-1965.pdf
An index of Roanoke Times obituaries for the years 1960-1965.

RTObits1955-1959.pdf
An index of obituaries from the Roanoke Times for the years 1955-1959.

TurnerAnn.mp3
Neighborhood Oral History Interview with Ann Turner
Interviewer: Kerri Taylor
Date: 6 April 2017
Location: Ms. Taylor's residence
Duration: 45:26

ShowalterEnglish (compressed).mp3
Neighborhood Oral History Interview with English Showalter
Interviewer: Kerri Taylor
Date: 13 May 2017
Location: Mr. Showalter's residence in Chevy Chase, Maryland
Duration: 1:05:26

NiamkeStephen.mp3
Neighborhood Oral History Interview with Stephen Niamke
Interviewer: Kerri Taylor
Date: 19 April 2017
Location: Melrose-Rugby Center
Duration: 54:18

Neighborhood Oral History Interview with Virginia Mignon Chubb-Hale
Interviewer: Kerri Taylor
Date: 10 November 2017
Location: Gainsboro Branch Library
Duration: 8:43

VAPhilatelistAug1899.pdf

VAPhilatelistJul1899.pdf

VAPhilatelistJun1899.pdf

VAPhilatelistMay1899.pdf

VAPhilatelistApr1899.pdf

VAPhilatelistMar1899.pdf

VAPhilatelistFeb1899.pdf

VAPhilatelistJan1899.pdf

VAPhilatelistDec1898.pdf

VAPhilatelistNov1898.pdf

VAPhilatelistOct1898.pdf

VAPhilatelistSep1898.pdf

VAPhilatelistAug1898.pdf

VAPhilatelistJul1898.pdf

VAPhilatelistJun1898.pdf

VAPhilatelistMay1898.pdf

VAPhilatelistApr1898.pdf

VAPhilatelistMar1898.pdf

VAPhilatelistFeb1898.pdf

VAPhilatelistJan1898.pdf

VAPhilatelistDec1897.pdf

VAPhilatelistNov1897.pdf

VAPhilatelistOct1897.pdf

VAPhilatelistSept1897.pdf

YMCA072.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Dr. Harry T. Penn, third from left.

YMCA071.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Noel C. Taylor, at podium.

Back of photograph: "Golden Anniversary, High Street Baptist Church."

YMCA070.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "Leo B. Marsh"

YMCA069.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "1957 Football Banquet."

YMCA068.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "1956 Banquet, Father and Son."

YMCA067.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA066.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA065.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA064.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA063.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA062.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA061.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "Education Committee Presentation 1953."

YMCA060.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "YMCA Membership Campaign 1953."

YMCA059.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Group photograph in front of Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church.

YMCA058.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "YMCA Miss Harvey Concert 1952."

YMCA057.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA056.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA055.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA054.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA053.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA052.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

At podium: Shirley Stuart

YMCA051.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "Star City Auditorium."

YMCA050.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA049.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA048.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA Back of photograph: "Father and Son Banquet, Look Almost Alike, 1957."

YMCA047.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "Football Banquet 1957"

YMCA046.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Gordon Williams on right.

YMCA045.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "Father and Son Banquet 1968."

YMCA044.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA043.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of photograph: "Father and Son Banquet."

Moorman Heller on left.

YMCA042.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA041.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA040.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA039.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA038.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA037.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA036.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

African American Baseball Team

YMCA035.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Dr. Harry Penn, center, holding glass.

YMCA034.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of Photograph: "Father and Son Annual Banquet."

YMCA033.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Father and Son Banquet

YMCA032.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of Photograph: "1969 Annual Meeting."

YMCA031.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of Photograph: "Founders Day."

YMCA030.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of Photograph: "'56 Father and Son Banquet."

YMCA029.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA028.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA027.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Dr. Harry Penn on right

YMCA026.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of Photograph: " Father and Son Banquet, November 19, 1957, Star City Auditorium, 6:30 pm."

YMCA025.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of Photograph: "Father and Son Banquet."

YMCA024.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of Photograph: "'56 Father and Son Banquet."

YMCA023.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA022.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Harrison Hale on right

YMCA021.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of Photograph: "Father and Son Banquet, October 30, 1958."

YMCA020.jpg
William A. Hunton YMCA

YMCA019.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA018.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA017.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA016.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Boys playing table tennis.

YMCA015.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Back of Photograph: "With complements of your President, M. H. Means."

YMCA014.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA013.jpg
William A. Huntun Branch YMCA

YMCA012.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA011.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Lucy Addison High School Football game at Victory Stadium.

YMCA010.jpg
William A. Hunton YMCA

YMCA009.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA008.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA007.jpg
William A. Hunton YMCA

YMCA006.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Parade to Loudon Avenue Christian Church

YMCA005.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA004.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA003.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

YMCA002.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Lucy Addison High School Band at Victory Stadium.

YMCA001.jpg
William A. Hunton Branch YMCA

Loudon Avenue Christian Church

Patriot1969.pdf
The Patriot is the annual for Patrick Henry High School.

Jubilee.pdf
The Roanoke Diamond Jubilee Celebration consisted of a number of special events commemorating the City of Roanoke's 75th Anniversary. This souvenir program includes the schedule of events, lists of participants, historical information, including…

Patriot1968.pdf
The Patriot is the annual for Patrick Henry High School.

Patriot1967.pdf
The Patriot is the annual for Patrick Henry High School.

Patriot1966.pdf
The Patriot is the annual for Patrick Henry High School.

Patriot1965.pdf
The Patriot is the annual for Patrick Henry High School.

Patriot1964.pdf
The Patriot is the annual for Patrick Henry High School.

SHH026.jpg
The children's department at Heironimus decorated for Christmas.

SHH025.jpg
A crowd gathers in front of Heironimus on Campbell Avenue to watch the Roanoke Christmas parade.

SHH024.jpg
Throngs of Christmas shoppers at Heironimus.

SHH023.jpg
Exterior of Heironimus decorated for Christmas.

SHH022.jpg
View of the housewares department of Heironimus decorated with a fairy tale motif.

SHH021.jpg
View of the fabric department of Heironimus.

SHH020.jpg
Floor displays at Heironimus for McGregor Menswear

SHH019.jpg
Window display at Heironimus dedicated to the history of Virginia College.

SHH018.jpg
Window display at Heironimus promoting war bonds, featuring Czechoslovakia.

SHH017.jpg
Window display at Heironimus for Calexico Colorama clothing collection at Heironimus. Sign reads, " Calexico Colorama our color-drenched collection of California fashion by Air - Assembled in our newly decorated pation shop, 2nd floor".

SHH014.jpg
Window display at Heironimus promoting products made from California redwoods.

SHH013.jpg
A view inside the children's department at Heironimus.

SHH012.jpg
Window display at Heironimus promoting war bonds, featuring Luxembourg.

SHH011.jpg
Floor displays at Heironimus for the Calexico Colorama clothing line.

SHH010.jpg
Window display at Heironimus for Calexico Colorama clothing collection at Heironimus. Sign reads, " Calexico Colorama our color-drenched collection of California fashion by Air - Assembled in our newly decorated pation shop, 2nd floor".

SHH009.jpg
Christmas window display for children's art supplies at Heironimus.

SHH008.jpg
Displays of tableware at Heirnomimus.

SHH007.jpg
Heironimus Christmas parade float encouraging children to "Go on the air with Santa" on WSLS.

SHH006.jpg
Window display at Heironimus advertising Revlon's Ultaviolet line of cosmetics.

SHH005.jpg
Christmas window display at Heironimus utilizing the editorial written by Virginia O'Hanlon to the New York Sun on 21 September 1897 asking 'Is there a Santa Claus?'. The editorial prompted the reply of one of the paper's editors, Frances Church, to…

SHH004.jpg
Window display at Heironimus for Hara-Kiri robes. Sign reads, "Newest, most popular in Hon. Japanese fashion apparel...authentic ceremonial Hara-robe."

SHH003.jpg
Window display at Heironimus chronicling the history of Norfolk & Western Railway during Roanoke's Golden Jubilee 50th Anniversary.

SHH002.jpg
Window display at Heironimus promoting war bonds, featuring Poland after it was invaded by the Nazis in World War II.

SHH001.jpg
Window display for Revlon's Ultraviolet line of cosmetics at Heironimus.

MP60.1.jpg
Peaks of Otter Lodge in the latter part of construction.

Patriot1963.pdf
The Patriot is the annual of Patrick Henry High School.

sr190.jpg
The Bell Telephone Company began service in Roanoke on May 19, 1884. In 1895, Bell Telephone introduced long-distance service. That year Roanokers could call Bedford, Lynchburg and Danville.

sr187.jpg
This view shows strollers atop Mill Mountain. The top of the mountain had park grounds and trails and was a popular destination with the incline and the watch tower.

sr186.jpg
This interior view of the Martha Washington Candies store shows what the company considered its “Southern Factory.” Martha Washington Candies Roanoke franchise was started by W.G. Baldwin at 310 S. Jefferson Street in 1914. Mr. Baldwin was of the…

sr184.jpg
Scottie’s Tavern was three miles north of Roanoke on Route 11 and specialized in country ham, chicken and steak dinners. It even offered curb service. J.S. Scott was the manager.

sr183.jpg
Sanatoriums were popular at the turn of the last century in the care and treatment of tuberculosis patients. Often doctors or others in the healthcare profession would establish homes and other institutions with such a purpose. Tuberculosis often…

sr180.jpg
“Memphis Special” made its debut through the Roanoke Valley on June 20th, 1909, running between Memphis, Tennessee, and New York City. The Memphis Special remained for years a popular passenger train, being the fastest and most direct route to New…

sr179.jpg
The Parkway Motel was located on Route 220, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, three miles south of Roanoke. The card promoted the motel as having “room telephone, air conditioning, all tile baths, hot water heat, air foam mattresses.” The motel was…

sr174.jpg
The VA facility erected structures such as the nurses’ home to house medical staff. The first patients were admitted on April 23, 1935. Some of the patients, as a form of therapy, actually conducted farming operations on the grounds of the…

sr170.jpg
The Class of 1933 contributed funds for the landscaping and drive that made the “High Street Gateway.” The entrance and subsequent drive were made necessary at the time by the large number of students possessing automobiles as well as increasing…

sr168.jpg
The gymnasium shown here was built in 1930 for a total cost of $138,354. The gym was but one component of a large master plan to expand the college’s facilities. Unfortunately, only the gymnasium was completed on time as the Depression stopped…

sr167.jpg
Smith Hall, named for a past president of the college, was erected in 1941. Designed by the firm of Eubank and Caldwell in Roanoke, the structure (originally a residence hall for forty women) was built and equipped for a total cost of $50,174.

sr162.jpg
Bittle Memorial Library was named for Roanoke College’s early president, Dr. David Bittle. Bittle led the college through its move to Salem and during the Civil War. Bittle was one of three Salem leaders who officially surrendered Salem to the…

sr155.jpg
The Farmers National Bank was organized May 8, 1871, with capital of $75,000. Through the leadership of Salem’s prominent businessmen, the bank weathered successfully economic turbulence that put other banks under during the latter part of the 18th…

sr154.jpg
Dedicated in 1967 and financed through the sale of bond proceeds, the Salem-Roanoke Valley Civic Center opened as a recreational and cultural center for Salem. Noted historian Norwood Middleton termed this as “the single most talked-about project in…

sr153.jpg
The filtration plant was an early element in Salem’s water supply infrastructure, but the water supply system itself dated to the 18th century. In 1874, the first concept for a water supply system was advanced to the town council, and in 1875 Salem…

sr152.jpg
The land on which Municipal Field was located had originally been designed for use as an elementary school site. Further study, however, prompted Salem’s leaders to appreciate its use more for athletics. Thus, in the spring of 1932, Municipal Field…

sr150.jpg
One of the most notable citizens in the region’s early history was General Andrew Lewis. Though Lewis died before the town of Salem was officially plotted by James Simpson, his life was spent in its general vicinity. This monument was erected in…

sr149.jpg
Pierpont's Brick Works was owned and operated by Salem businessman George E. Pierpont. In 1908, Pierpont was named as one of the privileged few in Salem to own an automobile.

sr148.jpg
The construction of a "new" Federal post office on Main Street was a saga of many years. Land purchased by the government in 1917 went undeveloped until 1922 when construction finally commenced. The post office officially opened in June of 1923.

sr147.jpg
In 1927, Salem businessman Henry A. Oakey purchased the former Hotel Salem and changed its name to Hotel Fort Lewis. The structure was demolished in 1974 .

sr146.jpg
One of the more contemporary establishments was J.J. Newberry Company. The card boasts, “Completely air-conditioned on two large selling floors, approximately ¾ mile counter space carrying over 30,000 separate items of merchandise. A modern…

sr145.jpg
In 1911, the Piedmont Glass Company purchased and resurrected the old glass plant. During the early years, the plant employed some 125 workers who produced glass bottles for a variety of uses. The plant was closed for two months each summer due to…

sr144.jpg
The Sherwood Burial Park, named for the old “Sherwood” estate that was near the property, was developed on a 35-acre tract in 1928 by C.B. Strickler.

sr137.jpg
The purchaser of this card sent the following message to his brothers: “Your letter received this morning…Father is working for the Virginian R.R. at present…I expect to take an examination for a R.R. mail clerk sometime this fall.” His brothers…

sr136.jpg
The Homestead Hotel has a long history. Built by David Wade in 1802, it was formerly known as the Old Globe Tavern with five huge fireplaces and 27-inch thick walls. At the time this card was published, it was the only original stage coach tavern…

sr135.jpg
This was the sanctuary of the First United Methodist Church congregation from 1904 until 1953. It was located on the northeast corner of College and Clay Avenues.

sr134.jpg
The congregation of Pentecostal Holiness Church was organized in 1915. Their present sanctuary, shown here, on North Bruffey Street was dedicated in April 1953.

sr133.jpg
College Lutheran Church – This collage shows the various structures associated with College Lutheran. The congregation first met in the Roanoke College chapel (top left) from 1852 until 1858; then they built their first sanctuary (top right) which…

sr132.jpg
While termed “First” church here, the sanctuary is known as home to the Salem Presbyterian Church located on Main Street. Salem Presbyterian was organized in 1831 and dedicated this sanctuary in 1852. Additions were made in 1914 and 1958.

sr131.jpg
Known originally as the First Methodist Episcopal Church when organized in 1908, the congregation later was called Second Methodist (1939) and then Central Methodist (1954). The sanctuary shown here was consecrated on June 26, 1955.

sr130.jpg
The Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church was started in 1870 and at the date of this card’s printing (1912), it stood on the corner of Water Street and Calhoun.

sr128.jpg
St. Paul's Episcopal congregation was organized around 1867. The congregation moved a few times before erecting this sanctuary on Main Street in 1911 There have since been numerous acquisitions and additions to the facility.

sr127.jpg
The Salem Baptist Church was organized in 1870 and dedicated their sanctuary at the corner of North Broad Street and College Avenue in 1873. An educational building was added in 1952. The new sanctuary seen today was erected in 1967.

sr126.jpg
– The George Washington Carver School was opened in the fall of 1940. The construction cost was $125,000. This new school was in response to the deterioration of the Water Street school

sr125.jpg
– The “Graded School A” was erected on Water Street as a six-room frame school in 1890-91 (the same year the Academy Street School opened for white students). By 1895, the school had an enrollment of 258 under the principal John Duckwilder.

sr123.jpg
The architectural drawing gracing this card was done by G.R. Ragan. The new high school, built on Broad Street, opened in 1912, relieving the overcrowded Academy Street school. Additions followed in 1920 and 1923, but the school was heavily damaged…

sr122.jpg
What is now known as the Academy Street School served Salem’s students for many years. The building on the right was constructed in 1890 with an addition (left) coming in 1895. The original portion served the lower grades and the addition became…

sr121.jpg
Tuberculosis sanatoriums were numerous in the first half of the last century. By the late 1960s, tuberculosis was controllable and facilities, such as Mount Regis, were converted to other uses usually health related.

sr120.jpg
Mount Regis was built on Development Hill in South Salem. Mount Regis closed its doors as a sanitorium in 1939. The building was then taken over by the Youth Administration to provide housing for nurses aids in hospitals. After World War II, the…

sr119.jpg
In 1952, residents of South Salem started a petition drive to incorporate a new town, Mount Regis. This was countered by residents desiring annexation into Salem. With some legal maneuverings and posturing, the “Mount Regis” citizens settled down,…

Tags:

sr117.jpg
The local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution erected in 1927 a monument marking the location of Fort Lewis which had been built by General Andrew Lewis.

sr116.jpg
The Victorian mansion, known as “Longwood,” was built by Thomas Henry Cooper around 1904. Unfortunately, this majestic structure was destroyed by fire on November 19, 1968.

sr114.jpg
This hotel stood on Main Street and was erected by W.D.F. Duval in 1871. It contained 40 to 50 rooms with bath tubs and running water. For a few years, the hotel was owned by the Chapman family and renamed the Lucerne.

sr113.jpg
For many years, Salem had also benefited from passenger service provided by the Virginian Railroad. Virginian passenger service in Salem ended in 1954, five years prior to its merger with the N&W.

sr112.jpg
Passenger service at the Salem depot ended on April 30, 1965. On that day, YWCA kindergartners boarded the Powhatan Arrow for a trip to Christiansburg. That same year, the N&W donated the station to the town of Salem.

sr111.jpg
The N&W Railway donated and created a park near the passenger station in 1933 at College Avenue and 8th Street. The park was one of several that were developed in Salem during that time period.

sr110.jpg
The passenger station hosted a prominent visitor on October 19, 1934, when President Franklin Roosevelt came to dedicate the new Veterans’ Hospital. After the ceremony, the President came to Salem where he was escorted by Salem’s mayor and a cadre…

sr109.jpg
The impressive home of Salem lawyer Demetrius B. Strouse on Broad Street was built around the turn of the last century. Strouse was involved in numerous civic and religious projects in the Roanoke Valley.

sr108.jpg
The Ridgewood farm land is today a developed retail corridor, known as the Ridgewood Village Center. The center opened in 1985 with a variety of stores and restaurants. The home, shown here, remains.

sr107.jpg
Monterey was the pre-Civil War home of the Chapman family. In later years, the home at the corner of High and Clay served as a hotel, hosting visitors by providing a truly residential flavor.

sr106.jpg
James C. Langhorne was prominent in the formation of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, helped develop Lake Spring Park, served on the Salem Town Council, and operated several business enterprises.

sr105.jpg
The Roanoke County Women’s Club was formed on June 7, 1923, by 28 women. In May of 1929, the club formally dedicated their clubhouse. On year later, the Junior Club added a wing to the main clubhouse and started a library. This effort laid the…

sr104.jpg
The Lutheran Orphanage sold much of its land holdings in the 1960s to Salem for the purpose of erecting what is now the Salem Civic Center. The buildings were sold in 1985 to Roanoke College.

sr102.jpg
The Lutheran Orphanage arrived in Salem in May of 1896, occupying a brick home on five acres at the corner of present-day Florida Avenue and Boulevard. The orphanage eventually bought the former Hotel Salem on College Avenue (shown here), which it…

sr101.jpg
Life at the orphanage often paralleled the events within Salem. Some of those were not positive. In 1918, a severe outbreak of the Spanish flu closed Salem’s schools, churches, and businesses for over a month. Sixty children at the Baptist…

sr100.jpg
The residence for the superintendent was constructed within the first decade of the orphanage’s operation. The residence allowed the superintendent to not only live on the campus but to host visitors and families.

sr099.jpg
This second cottage to be built for the orphanage was named for the institution’s first superintendent, the Reverend George J. Hobday, who served from 1891 until 1906.

sr098.jpg
The original 16 acres on which the orphanage sat was donated by businessman John M. Evans. The very first cottage to be built, which was completed on July 1, 1892, was named for the philanthropist.

sr097.jpg
By 1905, the Baptist Orphanage, which was just a decade old, was caring for 165 orphans. Some were placed in the institution’s care due to loss of parents, while others came to live because their families were impoverished. All needs of the…

sr096.jpg
The hill-top Baptist Orphanage prided itself on being self-sustaining in its early years. A generous donation of an additional 87 acres in 1897 allowed the orphanage to even operate a full-scale farm and dairy herd.

sr095.jpg
The cornerstone on the Administration Building was laid on July 4, 1901, becoming occupied in 1902. It’s red-brick castle-like structure was an imposing piece of architecture on the campus. The Administration Building was razed in 1965.

sr094.jpg
Before the advent of modern medicine, quarantine was often the best strategy to avoid the spread of disease. Salem, like all communities, had to impose its fair share of them. In 1905, the Baptist Orphanage was quarantined for two weeks due to an…

sr093.jpg
As a measure of Salem’s hospitality, many of the local churches, regardless of denomination, became involved with both the Baptist and Lutheran orphanages. In fact, Roanoke College offered free tuition to qualified students from both orphanages.

sr092.jpg
The Baptist Orphanage often brought visiting Baptists from around the state to Salem, who, according to the early Salem newspapers, would bring the children into town for entertainment and recreation.

sr090.jpg
Judge William Moffett convened the first session of Circuit Court in the new court room on April 1, 1910, and dedicated the day “for the hearing of matters and reading of papers of local historical interest.”

sr088.jpg
This photo postcard shows the old county courthouse. The structure was built in 1841 on a lot purchased by Roanoke County from John Gray of Missouri for $400. The courthouse was constructed by Salem hotelier William C. Williams. During the Civil…

sr086.jpg
Business leaders in Salem and Roanoke sought to promote their respective communities through a variety of promotional pamphlets. Scenes, such as the one above, were often included to demonstrate progress and prosperity. Salem was labeled as the…

sr085.jpg
For a few years, Salem’s residential streets were segregated. In 1913, Salem created racially segregated residential districts which were permitted by state law. District No. 1 (centered around Water Street) was for blacks, and District No. 2 was…

sr084.jpg
Good streets have always been one of the basic services provided by any municipality to its citizens. In 1909, a Salem newspaper headline read, “Good Streets Coming.” The editor was congratulating Salem leaders for applying crushed limestone to the…

sr083.jpg
Salem’s first major population and economic boom occurred between 1880 and 1890 with the development of the railroad. The population during that decade nearly doubled. The Roanoke Collegian reported in 1891, “Building continues, High Street is…

sr082.jpg
Main Street has become the setting for one of Salem’s most successful civic and commercial events – Olde Salem Days. The event began in 1981 with an estimated 12,000 visitors. By 1985, under the sponsorship of the Jaycees, “Days” drew some 40,000…

sr081.jpg
After much discussion, Salem’s city fathers agreed to a streetcar route on Main Street (the tracks can be seen in this card) in 1894. The system served Salem and connected riders to the Roanoke line that crossed over Masons Creek. The streetcars…

sr080.jpg
On the back of this postcard was written the following message: “Dear Mama – Does this look like home? Not much, I guess you would like it down here because people are so easy going and don’t believe in working all the time…” Home, by the way, was…

sr079.jpg
Prominent on the left is a sign for W.B. Dillard Drug Co., Prescription Druggists, Soda and Mineral Waters. Watts Dillard was a prominent Salem business man involved in numerous civic projects. His drugstore, at the corner of Main and College, got…

sr076.jpg
W.G. Ronk took the picture that produced this card of turn-of-the-century Main Street, which James Simpson originally called Roanoke Street. The street was only a few blocks long when first developed, running from present-day Colorado Street to…

sr075.jpg
Dirt streets and horse carriages marked town living one hundred years ago. In the foreground, one can see the outline of a crosswalk, probably brick, that allowed pedestrians to maneuver across streets avoiding ankle-deep mud that often plagued…

sr073.jpg
Water Street, later South Broad Street, was one of the earliest streets laid out in the 1802 plot of Salem. Water Street became the dominant center for Salem’s African-American community.

sr072.jpg
This early street scene illustrates the stately residential developments that marked Salem’s development at the turn of the last century.

sr071.jpg
This century-old view of Salem showed the development of the town since its inception in 1802 by James Simpson when he created 40 lots on 16 acres. The lots fronted one main road which Simpson named “Roanoke Street.” The lots were two sizes,…

Tags:

sr069.jpg
Lakeside survived for over six decades, but the competition brought on by other more major theme parks took its toll. By 1983, the park was in financial trouble. Bought by Charles Fox in 1984, the park was struck by the Flood of 1985. The flood…

sr068.jpg
Aunt Katherine wrote her nephew in Salisbury, Maryland, using this card, the following: “How would you like to go in bathing here? Uncle Frank and the boys are in now. It is fresh water. They have slides and swings and acting bars and every kind…

sr067.jpg
Lakeside was for many decades the most popular draw for Valley residents and tourists in the region. Offering rides, amusements, recreation, and concerts, Lakeside was complimented by Dixie Caverns, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and being at the…

sr066.jpg
This card shows how much the park had developed under the ownership of the Roberts family. This card advertises, “South’s Finest Swimming Pool, Joy Rides for Children and Adults, Beautiful Picnic Grounds.”

sr065.jpg
Like most public venues in the South, Lakeside was not integrated until 1964. At about this same time, park owners closed the pool, filled it over, and the park expanded.

sr064.jpg
Lakeside survived the Depression by offering low admission prices and cheap entertainment. During World War II, the USO provided servicemen complimentary tickets. There was even a movement in 1958 by nearby residents to constitute themselves as the…

sr062.jpg
In 1936, Lakeside was purchased by H.L. Roberts, and his family owned and operated Lakeside for the next fifty years. When the amusement park opened it was described as “the largest pool anyone had ever seen,” complimented by a beach of imported…

sr061.jpg
Lakeside was opened in 1920 by Robert Lynn, Sr., and featured a public swimming pool, roller coaster and one additional ride. The original 50-acre tract on which Lakeside was built was an orchard owned by John Bower.

sr060.jpg
This card reads, “From the crest of McAfee’s Knob, near Salem, at an altitude of 4,000 feet, and commanding a view of entrancing beauty. ‘Point of Rocks’ projects over the Valley far below. With nearly 2,000 feet of space beneath him, the visitor…

sr059.jpg
Camp Powhatan was located in the Natural Bridge National Forest Reserve. Scouting, having reached the States in 1910, has a long history in Roanoke County. The Blue Ridge Mountains Council, No. 599, is headquartered in Roanoke County, having merged…

sr058.jpg
The vast majority of tourist homes, motor courts, motels and other tourist-related businesses dried up after the emergence of President Eisenhower’s interstate highway system. Small towns were bypassed, and routes, such as Route 11, were no longer…

sr057.jpg
Traveltown, located on Route 11 in Cloverdale, advertised “Every cottage heated with Private Bath.” In the mid-1920s, Route 11 became a link in the Washington-to-San Diego Lee Highway, making it a part of the transcontinental highway system.

sr056.jpg
The name “Hanging Rock” was given due to the rock formation’s appearance as projecting from the mountainside. In the area of Hanging Rock occurred one of only two Civil War engagements within the bounds of Roanoke County.

sr055.jpg
This Methodist Church was an early sanctuary of the present-day Thrasher Memorial United Methodist Church. The present sanctuary was built in 1963. The church was named for Paul and Sallie Thrasher, pioneer Methodists in the Roanoke Valley. The…

sr054.jpg
This fine residence belonged to prominent businessman, J.C. Cook originally of Bonsack. Cook later moved to the Vinton area and owned the land on which the Vinton War Memorial was built.

sr053.jpg
The Vinton War Memorial is a tribute to the 29 men of Vinton who gave their lives in military service during World War II and Vietnam. The building, seen here, was dedicated in 1948 as a community center and remains such today.

sr051.jpg
Vinton Baptist Church began in 1892. The building shown in this postcard rendering is one constructed in 1924, replacing the original sanctuary of 1894.

sr050.jpg
Vinton Roller Mills, along Glade Creek, grew out of mills originally built by David Gish that pre-dated the Civil War. By the Twentieth Century, the remaining mill was owned and operated by James Bowie and produced three kinds of flour. By 1924,…

sr047.jpg
This camp was originally constructed in 1933 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. In 1941, it became an Army mechanical training camp. From 1943 until 1946, the camp housed 150 German POWs who worked in nearby orchards. Today, the camp is owned and…

sr046.jpg
The official arrival of the Norfolk and Western Railroad (later Railway) into the Roanoke Valley occurred on June 18, 1882, when an N&W locomotive steamed into the newly-named Town of Roanoke. With the coming of the railroad, the population and…

sr045.jpg
Exactly what road this might be cannot be determined. Historic records, however, show that interest in building a road from Salem across Twelve O’Clock Knob to Back Creek and then up Bent Mountain dated back to 1840.

sr044.jpg
One of the most prominent geographical features in the Roanoke Valley is Twelve O’Clock Knob with an altitude of 2,707 feet. According to local tradition, the mountain received its name prior to the Civil War when slaves, working west of Salem,…

sr043.jpg
Enon Baptist Church is one of the oldest Baptist churches in the Roanoke Valley. Built in 1855 across from the entrance of present-day Hollins University, the church was established by Charles Cocke, president of Hollins Institute.

sr042.jpg
This view of the women’s quarters shows the west end of the lean-to with lounging room in the center. Catawba ceased accepting tuberculosis patients on January 1, 1972. When it did, records indicated that some 25,000 tuberculosis patients had…

sr041.jpg
Catawba Sanatorium developed its own nursing school to train healthcare professionals in the treatment of tuberculosis. Between 1912 and 1954, Catawba School of Nursing graduated 258 Certified Tuberculosis Nurses.

sr039.jpg
Catawba Sanatorium became in many ways a self-sustaining community. For many years, the sanatorium operated its own dairy farm. The number of patients and employees were such that the area soon had its own post office, school, chapel, and other…

sr038.jpg
By 1937, Catawba Sanatorium was serving some 340 patients and the grounds totaled over 1100 acres, almost double the acreage contained in the original purchase. The many pavilions, such as the one above, were named for Virginia governors.

sr037.jpg
When Catawba Sanatorium opened in 1909, it consisted of 42 beds located primarily in the old hotel that served the sulphur springs resort area. The sanatorium would expand in both buildings and number of patients significantly over the next few…

sr036.jpg
The Virginia Building of Catawba Sanatorium was constructed in 1913, four years after the Catawba Sanatorium opened. The original property for the sanatorium had been the Red Sulphur Springs.

sr035.jpg
The infirmary, constructed in 1910, was named for Susanna Cocke. Utilizing Georgian and Federal architecture, the infirmary was actually the first building included in part of new quadrangle on the southeast section of the campus.

sr034.jpg
The Bradley Chapel was built in 1883 but not named until the 1930s for Joshua Bradley. The chapel served as the center for campus religious activities. During the early years, Hollins students were expected to attend chapel services daily after…

sr033.jpg
Presser Hall was erected in 1925, a gift of Theodore Presser, music publisher. Presser was a music professor at Hollins from 1880 until 1883. Unfortunately, Presser died before the building was completed. At the time of its dedication, the…

sr032.jpg
Construction on East Building began in 1856 and was completed two years later. The East Building, complimenting Main and West, completed the quadrangle courtyard. According to early Hollins historians, East was designed to imitate in appearance the…

sr031.tif
The Little Theater was created largely through the spirited giving of Hollins students who, in the 1920s, raised $45,000 toward the total cost of $65,000 for the structure. The theater was built in 1924, replacing an old auditorium that was in the…

sr028.jpg
The West Building was totally rebuilt in 1890. The left wing contained the infirmary, doctor’s office and faculty living quarters, and the right wing contained two large halls for Hollins’ two early literary societies. The portico, completed in…

sr027.jpg
The 1920s saw the emergence of student leadership in the affairs of the college. In 1920 a student forum was organized for the purpose of providing input on a variety of issues. One reoccurring issue was dress. Could students wear short skirts,…

sr025.jpg
The Main Building is one of the oldest structures on the campus. The building was erected in between 1861 and 1863. The day the building was started was the same day Virginia seceded from the Union. With the onslaught of the Civil War,…

sr023.jpg
When this postcard was sent, Hollins students were on a reinvigorated academic schedule that covered six days. Students could no longer attend for two years and get an “Academic Certificate.” They now must complete all four years. These academic…

sr022.jpg
The sulphur spring on the Hollins campus was discovered in the early 1800s in the bed of Carvins Creek. The message on this card boasted, “Its water has wonderful curative powers, and many prominent men, among them President Andrew Jackson and…

sr021.jpg
Early in Hollins’ history, social life for the students was very structured and limited. For example, in 1925 students could receive “gentlemen callers” only on weekend nights and Sunday afternoons. Dates off campus required a chaperone and…

sr020.jpg
The “new” bridge shown here was built in 1908, replacing an older one. The bridge was part of an extensive landscape plan developed for the campus at the time that consisted of gardens, boardwalks, bridges and recreational areas.

sr016.jpg
The history of Hollins University actually begins in New York with Joshua Bradley, a Baptist minister. Bradley purchased the property of the defunct Roanoke Female Seminary in 1842 for the purpose of forming an education union to “conduct an…

A. B. Claytor Collection.pdf
This is a guide to the A. B. Claytor Collection. The collection contains items related to the Alexander Broadon Claytor and his family. While the majority of the collection is comprised of family photographs, also included are funeral programs, a…

sr015.jpg
Elva wrote to Albert Reinhold on the back of this card the following: “Received your postal from Washington, thank you so very much. Tell your dear mother that I will write to her tomorrow. This is a perfectly grand day to take a walk. Wish you…

sr014.jpg
Windsor Court Motel was at 1908 W. Main Street, Salem. Effie Snead was the owner and, at the time the card was published, Charles Snead was the manager.

sr013.jpg
This motor court was managed by H.R. Poole, who mailed this particular card to Joseph Lang of West Hempstead, NY, with the simple message, “You’re welcome in Virginia.” The establishment lured visitors by claiming “no truck or railroad noise.” Its…

sr012.jpg
The Goodwin Motel’s postcard boasted “approved drinking water.” The motel was located west of Salem on Route 11, which served for many years as the modern-day equivalent of the interstate.

sr011.jpg
The sender of this postcard wrote, “Will spend New Years Eve here, rained all day, having a good time. This motel is very comfortable. See you in San Francisco.” The Fort Lewis Tourist Courts was ½ mile west of Salem on Route 11.

city019.jpg
The St. Charles Hospital was located at 533 Mountain Avenue. It opened in March of 1913 under the direction of Dr. J.C. Burke. The hospital closed in 1934, and the building was converted into apartments.

city018.jpg
This card’s description reads, “One of the bedrooms of the Roanoke Sanitarium, Inc. – Institution for the treatment of Nervous and Mental Diseases, Drug and Alcohol Addictions.”

city017.jpg
The Belmont section of Roanoke, long-served by the Christian Church there, began as a 40-home development around 1889. The Belmont School opened in 1893 and soon followed street car service (1905), the city’s first automobile fire steamer (1911),…

city016.jpg
A member used this card to celebrate her new church sanctuary: “Our new church cost $15,000, pipe organ $2,650, pews $1,100. Expect to dedicate third Sunday in April.” Unfortunately, the church was badly damaged by a fire in 1917, but recovered.

city015.jpg
Belmont Baptist Church was organized on October 17, 1901. They dedicated their second sanctuary in Southeast Roanoke in 1904. Belmont Baptist continues to worship in the sanctuary depicted on this card.

city014.jpg
J.H. Marsteller created ornate marble monuments and headstones. This card was produced for Marsteller in 1907, showing on the left the exhibit of Marsteller at the 1907 Jamestown Exhibition’s Timber and Mineral Building. The image on the right shows…

city013.jpg
The Masonic Temple was located on the northwest corner of 1st and Kirk Street. In 1915, the street level was occupied by Reams, Jones and Blankenship furniture store. The store’s slogan was “Marry the girl – we’ll furnish the home.”

city012.jpg
This card shows how Jefferson Street had changed over the years. This view looks north down Jefferson Street from Mountain Avenue, showing a variety of commercial buildings, apartments and hotels.

city011.jpg
The postcard image shows what the vista would have looked like over a century ago atop the famous Mill Mountain Incline. In the bottom foreground is the back side of the old Roanoke Hospital, and in the top distant background one can see the former…

city010.jpg
The top image is of the Central YMCA and the bottom image is of the Railroad Department YMCA. The Railroad YMCA opened on November 10, 1903. The Young Men’s Christian Association began in Roanoke in 1883.

city006.jpg
Construction of Shenandoah Hospital commenced in 1912, opening the next year. The hospital was located on West Campbell Avenue between 7th and 8th Streets. Dr. J.H. Dunkley was president and assisted by Dr. Ira Huff, Dr. W.S. Slicer, Dr. J.T.…

city005.jpg
This interior view of the Martha Washington Candies store shows what the company considered its “Southern Factory.” Martha Washington Candies Roanoke franchise was started by W.G. Baldwin at 310 S. Jefferson Street in 1914. Mr. Baldwin was of the…

city004.jpg
The Calvary Baptist Church on Campbell Avenue had as its early sanctuary this beautiful building which was located directly across the street from the present-day facility. Needing more space for the growing congregation and with the completion of…

city003.jpg
The Roanoke Times was the first daily paper in Roanoke, having been started by M.A. Claytor in 1886. In 1909, the Times was purchased by J. B. Fishburn, Edward L. Stone, and W.S. Battle and became the Roanoke Times, Incorporated. The Times…

city002.jpg
The Jefferson Apartments were built in 1912 on South Jefferson Street. The apartments existed for several decades before being razed in the late 1990s. The site of the apartment building was occupied by a house that was moved across Mountain Avenue…

city001.jpg
The Virginia Bridge and Iron Works began in 1888 as the American Bridge Works, changing its name in 1893. Other branch plants were located in Memphis, Tennessee, and Atlanta, Georgia. The Roanoke Branch was involved in hundreds of bridge projects…

Heller Family Collection.pdf
This is a guide to the Heller Family Collection. The collection contains items related to members of the Heller family, including: Moorman Pendleton Heller; his wife, Lucy Blanch Robinson Heller; and their son, George Henry Robinson Heller. The…

Revised Vertical File Index  (1).pdf
The Vertical Files and Surname Files Index is an alphabetical list of over 250 topical files. Vertical files may include pamphlets, news clippings and other materials that do not merit a call number, but are arranged for ready reference on a given…

VRD 2.26.jpg
Vendor stalls inside the Market Building.

VRD 2.25.jpg
Shoppers peruse the vendor stalls inside the Market Building.

VRD 2.24.jpg
Shoppers peruse the vendor stalls on the City Market.

VRD 2.23.jpg
Vendor stalls along Market Street on the City Market.

VRD 2.22.jpg
Looking east on Salem Avenue near Wall Street intersection.

VRD 2.21.jpg
Looking north on Market Street toward the Market Building.

VRD 2.20.jpg
An interior view of the Market Building.

VRD 2.19.jpg
Shoppers peruse the vendor stalls on the City Market.

VRD 2.18.jpg
Interior of Market Building after removal of vendor stalls for renovation.

VRD 2.17.jpg
Shoppers peruse the vendor stalls on the City Market.

VRD 2.16.jpg
Shoppers peruse the vendor stalls along Market Square.

VRD 2.15.jpg
A view of vendor stalls along Market Square.

VRD 2.14.jpg
Shoppers peruse the vendor stalls on the City Market.

VRD 2.13.jpg
Boxes of merchandise stacked inside the Market Building. Signs above indicate portion sizes for various items.

VRD 2.12.jpg
An interior view of the meat market inside the Market Building.

VRD 2.11.jpg
Shoppers peruse the vendor stalls on the City Market.

VRD 2.10.jpg
An unidentifed woman shops for flowers at the City Market.

VRD 2.9.jpg
Hams and eggs at a vendor stall outside of theMarket Building.

VRD 2.8.jpg
View of buildings along Campbell Avenue across from the Market Building, including the Roanoke Weiner Stand, Gulf Mills Department Store, and Bob's Shoe Store.

VRD 2.7.jpg
Largely empty stalls inside the Market Building.

VRD 2.6.jpg
Wholesaling operations on Kirk Avenue as seen from Market Street.

VRD 2.5.jpg
A view of Market Square.

VRD 2.3.jpg
A view of the Market Building.

VRD 2.2.jpg
Looking north on Market Street toward Market Square.

VRD 2.1.jpg
Looking north on Market Street.

BM190.jpg
Col. Holt’s store and house on Bent Mountain. Dr. Hurt’s car is parked in front.

BM138.jpg
Bessie Beckner (left) and Essie Mae Beckner.

BM381.jpg
Poages Mill baseball team, #1, R.C. Wertz, #2 O.L. Grisso, #3 John Wertz, #4 Bill Grisso, #5 Ott Wertz, #6 Walt Henry, #7 E.B. Martin, #8 John Bowles, #9 R.C. Henry

BM380.jpg
Marvin Thompson (sitting on barrel) and Guy Conner in Woodrum Orchard.

BM379.jpg
Aerial view of Cave Spring High School and Cave Spring Baptist Church.

BM376.jpg
George M. Burris (right) on a hay wagon, Bent Mountain.

BM375.jpg
Roanoke Look Out Gift Shop on Route 221 at the top of Bent Mountain.

BM374.jpg
Aerial view of Roanoke Look Out Lodge Gift Shop along Route 221 at the top of Bent Mountain.

BM373.jpg
Mr. and Mrs. Maynard Rierson 50th Wedding Anniversary photo.

BM372.jpg
Maynard Rierson and family.

BM371.jpg
Rierson’s Store on Route 221.

BM370.jpg
Flier promoting a music festival at the "new" Back Creek High School.

BM369.jpg
Flier promoting "Old Time Fiddler's Convention" at Back Creek School.

BM367.jpg
Temporary Rierson's Store that was used after old store was razed and before new store was built.

BM366.jpg
Rierson's Store. This was the original store that stood where Back Creek Elementary School stands today on Route 221.

BM365.jpg
Belleview Primitive Baptist Church on Roselawn Road.

BM363.jpg
B.G. Finnell, Sr. in front of his store.

BM362.jpg
Finnell’s Pool on Route 221, near foot of Bent Mountain.

BM361.jpg
B.G. Finnell & Sons store on Route 221, near foot of Bent Mountain.

BM360.jpg
L to R: Marvin, Jesse, and Betty Conner picking apples in Thompson orchard on Bent Mountain.

BM359.jpg
Mormon Church Group at Back Creek.

BM357.jpg
Bent Mountain Hunting Club. Back row, L to R: Ruben Holt, Dewey Holt, Will Wimmer; Front row, L to R: Ralph Metz, Howard Nichols, Raymond Wimmer

BM356.jpg
L to R: Nelson Simpson, Omer C. Simpson, Omer C. Simpson Jr., Francis Simpson and unidentified man stacking hay in field. Simpson farm was located on Martins Creek Road.

BM355.jpg
Omer Simpson (right) with son, Francis, cutting hay. Simpson's farm was located on Martins Creek Road.

BM353.jpg
Former store of Clem and Mae Conner along Route 221.

BM352.jpg
Dr. Joseph Gale’s home in Cave Spring, later owned by Dr. White.

BM351.jpg
Dr. Joseph Gale’s office in Cave Spring.

BM350.jpg
Dr. Joseph A. Gale, a physician at Cave Spring in 1880s.

BM349.jpg
Starkey School

BM348.jpg
Vacation cabin at Laurel Ranch.

BM346.jpg
Haystacks along Tinsley Lane.

BM345.jpg
Grisso-Gates School building, located on property of 5321 S. Roselawn Road in Cave Spring.

BM342.jpg
King Brothers’ saw mill, formerly located in the Bottom Creek area. The mill was powered by steam engine. Logs were hauled to the site by oxen and horses.

BM341.jpg
Marshal Conner’s Bent Mountain Apple Shed produce stand along Route 221 on Bent Mountain.

BM340.jpg
Bent Mountain Hunting Club members ready for a hunt, location unknown.

BM339.jpg
Bent Mountain Hunting Club cabin on Calloway Road, later burned and was replaced with a cinderblock building. Will Wimmer on far right.

BM338.jpg
Unidentified musicians entertain inside clubhouse of Bent Mountain Hunting Club.

BM337.jpg
Bent Mountain Hunting Club. The old club building was located on Callaway Road, off of Route 221 just past Blue Ridge Parkway overpass. Standing, L to R: Will Wimmer, C.F. Holt, Walter Overfelt, Dewey Holt, Doug Lancaster, ?, Woodrow Reed, Jake…

BM336.jpg
Will Wimmer, a farmer at Bent Mountain.

BM335.jpg
Fletcher Wimmer working on family farm. The Wimmers had large cabbage fields. Their farm bordered the Blue Ridge Parkway near the spur road to Bent Mountain.

BM334.jpg
Stone’s Union 76 Service Station along Route 221 on Bent Mountain.

BM333.jpg
Ruby and Allen Stone at Union 76 Service Station along Route 221 on Bent Mountain.

BM328.jpg
Fralin's Produce along Route 221 on Bent Mountain.

BM327.jpg
Former Elbe Reed store and Bent Mountain Post Office on Route 221 in process of being razed.

BM326.jpg
A vacant Bottom Creek Church of the Brethren.

BM325.jpg
A vacant Christo Evangelical Wesleyan Church in the Bottom Creek area.

BM324.jpg
“Old” Bent Mountain School.

BM323.jpg
Bent Mountain Mutual Telephone Company stock certificate.

BM322.jpg
Allen Stone, Bent Mountain.

BM321.jpg
Ruby and Allen Stone, Bent Mountain.

BM320.jpg
Poff’s Garage, Route 221, Bent Mountain.

BM319.jpg
Ott and Lucy Poage at a dance at Back Creek Elementary School.

BM318.jpg
Postcard of Cave Spring Baptist Church, showing parsonage and sanctuary.

BM317.jpg
Henry P. McGuire of Cave Spring in J.L. Dishong fruit and vegetable wagon.

BM316.jpg
Preston Hartman

BM315.jpg
Preston Hartman home, Cave Spring.

BM314.jpg
Back Creek School faculty photo; L to R: Ella Clark Henry, Rufus Henry, Mary Turner.

BM313.jpg
“40 Acres” home postcard, Bent Mountain.

BM312.jpg
Roland Ferguson and family in front of their house. The house is located at 5109 Twelve O’Clock Knob Road.

BM311.jpg
Reno Restaurant card, formerly located in Starkey area on Crystal Creek Road.

BM310.jpg
Look Out Lodge postcard, Bent Mountain.

BM309.jpg
Diane Altis on pick-up in Back Creak area.

BM308.jpg
L to R: Clarence Altis, Mauvieleen Stanley, Ida Stanley, Gaye Stanley. The hill behind them is where the King’s Forest subdivision is today along Route 221.

BM307.jpg
Stanley Family in snow in the Haran area.

BM306.jpg
Mauvieleen Stanley on Route 221 in area of Haran Baptist Church.

BM305.jpg
Back Creek School; L to R: Ethel Stump, Mauvieleen Stanley, Lorene Underwood, Martin Tinsley, Arlene Stanley.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2